Volvo 240 Cold Start Injector Line Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021 | 06:13 PM
|
Default Volvo 240 Cold Start Injector Line Fabrication

Posting this as a how-to guide for a problem I've finally solved, after a previous owner cut the cold start injector line on my 1990 240 and replaced it with something that leaked. I then also replaced it with something that was supposedly fuel-rated, and my fix leaked too - so I'm not throwing shade here. The OEM line is no longer available, and I never was able to find a junkyard line that wasn't also cut or damaged. I believe only 1990-1993 have this line so it's a little tough to come by a donor. The good news is that if you have a set of fittings you can fabricate your own new line quite easily.

The original line, part 21 in the diagram, is a nylon line with a barb fitting and nut on the fuel rail side and a banjo fitting and bolt at the bottom of the cold start injector. The nylon is housed inside of a rubber hose - I'm assuming this is to protect the nylon as the rubber is outside of the fittings so only the nylon is actually holding fuel.

To do this job you will need: a set of fittings, a vise, scrap wood, a drill and drill bits, a tapping implement, cover hose (I used fuel line with 3/16" ID), Vaseline or other lubricant, and nylon line. The nylon I got from McMaster Carr, PN 5548K83, 3/16 x .138 (9/64" ID) nylon tubing. Possibly you could get it elsewhere to avoid having to order the minimum of 25 feet, or you can go ahead and get what should hopefully be a lifetime supply. If you want you can also order some 5548K86, 5/16" x .232 for when you have to fabricate a new main fuel line.

I don't know what the actual length of the original cold start line is, since I've never gotten my hands on a complete one. If anyone knows, please let me know and I'll update this. I estimate it to be between 7 and 8 inches with fittings. You might want to make the new line an inch longer because it's a tight fit in there, but don't make it too long or you'll never get it tucked away safely. To assemble the line, make a jig from some scrap wood (or whatever) by clamping the wood in the vise and drilling a 1/8-ish" hole. Then simply put the line in the wood with the end poking out, clamp it down, lube the fitting, and gently tap the fitting in being sure not to kink or otherwise damage the line. I didn't need to use any heat, and the lubrication is probably optional as well. Don't forget to slide the nut on before you add the second fitting or you'll get extra practice!

I attempted to slide the nylon into 3/16" ID fuel line for protection, but it was too tight a fit to get on all the way. So instead, you can cut a slit in your cover tubing and just put it around. The 1/4" ID line was too loose for my taste but that's also an option. Wrap the finished line with some wiring harness tape if you like. I replaced the copper washers with some from my assortment of generic new ones, but it might be ok to re-use the old ones. Supposedly they are still available as Volvo part number 947620, but I didn't order them so I'm not sure if those are the right ones or not.

Overall this process is very similar to the legendary "fuel line fun" page: 240 Volvo Fuel Line Fun. My thanks to Art for his inspiration. If anyone has any questions about or improvements to this process, please let me know!

Last edited by genhawk21; 06-06-2021 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedBrick3 (04-28-2024)