Volvo 240 Engine mount wont fit back in engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 240 Engine mount wont fit back in engine

Ok so I got the motor mount off on the passenger side by the brackets from the block and crossmember. As I removed the final block bolts I felt the engine break from the bolts and sit itself differently. I knew it was going to be tough to get them back in lined up so I placed the block bracket with the mount on first and now I cant get enough clearance to put the bottom bracket into mount and crossmember. The mount is sitting on the crossmember attached to the block and when I jack the engine the crossmember rises with the engine and no clearance occurs. How am I suppose to jack the engine off the crossmember to fit in the bottom bracket when the crossmember wont separate from the engine? Seems impossible.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

a engine hoist?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Im afraid im going to have to take it to a shop and have them put it in. I got the engine separated from the cross member and got the mount in with both brackets. The top right block bolt lines up but the other two are off from lining up. I tried tightening one hoping the others would line up but it didnt happen. The whole engine is going to have to be moved over or something. I can't do it by myself and am limited on resources.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
a engine hoist?

This.

You can get a cheap 2 ton hoist at Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, NAPA etc (I'm pretty sure they are all the same, just painted different colors depending on store) for just under $200.

I replaced my motor mounts maybe a month ago. I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me. I also was going to take it to a shop, when I saw the price on one of these hoists, and figured give the money to a shop or buy a new tool, so I bought the tool. Finishing the job was a breeze compared to fooling around with the jack under the engine. With the hoist lifting from above I was able to easily maneuver the engine to get the bolts lined up again.

In fact I made a post about it to hopefully point out the jack method may not be as simple as described for a person doing it the first time.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...gestion-80555/

Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 AM

I usually just use a jack with a piece of wood between it and the engine under the car. if your jack is too short, put more wood underneath... lol

Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Yea I have been using the jack under the engine with the wood and that's fine for lifting the engine but sliding it over is the issue. Yea a hoist makes sense but I don't have the time and my only day off its suppose to rain. Shop says 80 bucks if it takes an hour and 10 minutes. I already got half the work done. So lets see what happens.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by xDread92x
Yea I have been using the jack under the engine with the wood and that's fine for lifting the engine but sliding it over is the issue. Yea a hoist makes sense but I don't have the time and my only day off its suppose to rain. Shop says 80 bucks if it takes an hour and 10 minutes. I already got half the work done. So lets see what happens.
In my experience when you push it up a little bit because of the tranny mount and crossmember it will want to center it self. just use what you have and get er done..

Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by xDread92x

I didn't have the option of driving it, as I changed the oil at the same time since it makes it easier to get at the mount. No filter, no oil, no driving.

$80 isn't too bad at least.

For the future they also make a device that sits on your fender wells that will hold the engine up. I don't think it will lift it though, just hold it. I assume the idea is you jack it from below, and then set the support beam. Not as capable as a hoist, but cheaper and much smaller to store.

Bend Pak RST500ES - Engine Support Beam | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If you do a search online you will find that you can build the same thing using 2x4s and a few bolts & a chain. I have seen pics before of someone making such a jig to replace their engine mounts. I believe I had seen it over on Brickboard.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM

I do have an engine hoist and a frame that is my dads. I have never used it before and really don't want to mess anything up. Plus I have already spent hours under the car I really don't feel like spending more hours trying to hoist the engine and then dropping it back down precariously into three small crossmember holes.