Volvo 240 Stock wheels (selling 740 wheels and buying oem)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 05:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Volvo 240 Stock wheels (selling 740 wheels and buying oem)

Hi there guys! I’m new and helping my girlfriend out with her new Volvo 240

Currently she has the 5 spoke I believe 740 wheels. Few friends have said they’re very desired in the Volvo community. She’s currently looking for the OEM wheels and hubcaps for sale or trade would do.
Preferably located in Southern California

Pictures below of wheels she has and then looking for

Old 05-16-2022, 10:13 PM
Received 597 Likes on 563 Posts

Yes, those are 16 (or 15?) inch 740 Turbo wheels, (missing the center caps) A 240 (as pictured) is shod in 14 inch steels wheels with plastic hubcaps. Someone paid a bit to get those "740 Turbo" wheels on your "girlfriends" car thinking they would be cool (and "handle" better!). Thinking that the bigger is better, 16 versus 14 and all that, lower ETs, higher g force around them corners! (in the Volvo Station Wagon) Hey maybe bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, coil overs - yeah that will make the ~120Hp 3500 pound wagon handle better!

Sorry to be rude but - how are you HELPING your girlfriend by putting 14 inch steel wheels (yes original with originals hubcaps) back on her car? Does she care that her 20x year old 240 with missing side molding and peeling/buffed off/missing metallic paint does not have the original wheels? If so buy original wheels and hubcaps, with some name brand tires and pat yourself on the back. (for throwing away perfectly good parts) I would think she is just happy to have a car that runs and does not have the funds to restore her car to it's "original" glory.

The car looks like it has a light colored dash with dark seats. Do you plan to put the correct seats or dash (center console, ect. ) in the car also to make it "original"? Light dashes were not installed in cars with black seats, black dashes were.

You certainly are not going to agree - and I understand - I've made the same kind of bad decisions before and I'll admit maybe I spent some of my now EX "girlfriends" money making her car "better". (in my eyes only)

Old 05-17-2022, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Yes, those are 16 (or 15?) inch 740 Turbo wheels, (missing the center caps) A 240 (as pictured) is shod in 14 inch steels wheels with plastic hubcaps. Someone paid a bit to get those "740 Turbo" wheels on your "girlfriends" car thinking they would be cool (and "handle" better!). Thinking that the bigger is better, 16 versus 14 and all that, lower ETs, higher g force around them corners! (in the Volvo Station Wagon) Hey maybe bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, coil overs - yeah that will make the ~120Hp 3500 pound wagon handle better!

Sorry to be rude but - how are you HELPING your girlfriend by putting 14 inch steel wheels (yes original with originals hubcaps) back on her car? Does she care that her 20x year old 240 with missing side molding and peeling/buffed off/missing metallic paint does not have the original wheels? If so buy original wheels and hubcaps, with some name brand tires and pat yourself on the back. (for throwing away perfectly good parts) I would think she is just happy to have a car that runs and does not have the funds to restore her car to it's "original" glory.

The car looks like it has a light colored dash with dark seats. Do you plan to put the correct seats or dash (center console, ect. ) in the car also to make it "original"? Light dashes were not installed in cars with black seats, black dashes were.

You certainly are not going to agree - and I understand - I've made the same kind of bad decisions before and I'll admit maybe I spent some of my now EX "girlfriends" money making her car "better". (in my eyes only)
Lol first of all very unnecessary. To correct you on a few things since you seem to know my life story. It’s got an all black interior (with uncracked black dash) just a cover on it. Second, the wheels are ugly plain and simple. 14 inch steelies in both of our eyes with hubcaps would look better.
Along with we already have an entire trim kit to replace all trim after painting it Scotia Blue. So again, she simply likes the looks of the OEM wheels.
She isn’t looking to have the “sporty” “rare” “cool” 740 Turbo wheels.
All I was trying to gain from this post was to see if someone wanted to work out a deal and take the nicer wheels off our hands.
We’d both would rather have someone who really wants the 740 wheels to have them.
Not throwing away anything, just restoring it…
Don’t know what made you so hurt to write a novel about my girlfriends new car. Along with I build cars so yeah I’m pretty stoked to get my hands on this and help her with it. Sorry it didn’t workout with you and your ex though, maybe be a bit nicer than you were right now, to your next girlfriend
Have a nice day!

The following 3 users liked this post by JoeyC63AMG:
93 940 Turbo (11-11-2023), Paladin1962 (05-17-2022), Pete C (05-19-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:13 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

The 16 inch Hydras you have now are desirable, they came on many 940 Turbos and are the only 16" besides Geminis as far as Volvo OEMs of that era. They handle better, make the ride stiffer. Looks are a personal choice--they look better with the center caps. Few enthusiasts will choose 14" hub caps instead of 16" alloys, how about 15"? It does look like your project needs a lot of TLC besides downgrading the wheels. May be you want to get the center caps for the Hydras to see how they are supposed to look?

Old 05-17-2022, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by lev
The 16 inch Hydras you have now are desirable, they came on many 940 Turbos and are the only 16" besides Geminis as far as Volvo OEMs of that era. They handle better, make the ride stiffer. Looks are a personal choice--they look better with the center caps. Few enthusiasts will choose 14" hub caps instead of 16" alloys, how about 15"? It does look like your project needs a lot of TLC besides downgrading the wheels. May be you want to get the center caps for the Hydras to see how they are supposed to look?
She’s the weird one that wants the undesired wheel.. lol
They do look better with centercaps agreed. Either looking for 14 or 15 inch of the OEM over the Hydras.
Along with we already have boxes of parts, trim kit, etc. Waiting for trim until it’s painted. Looking to do Scotia Blue. She’s pretty set on the OEM big face hubcaps lol.
I’m about handling and all that but that’s what my cars for, we’re looking to just restore this one to a really nice state as interior is 11/10 on it.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admire your willingness to get your girlfriend's car set to the way she wants it. I'm somewhat of a purist myself. I like the original look (on any vintage car). Something about it looking like it did when new is just more appealing to me. Now, with that said, I really appreciate what folks do to their cars, and am very stoked these 240's (especially the wagons) are gaining traction with a whole new crowd. To me, that keeps the 240 alive. I look forward to seeing an update when you get going on this retrofitting/refurbishing.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:01 AM

i am interested in these wheels

you can text me at 424 204 3151
i am in LA

Gary H.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:12 PM
Default Hi

Originally Posted by JoeyC63AMG
She’s the weird one that wants the undesired wheel.. lol
They do look better with centercaps agreed. Either looking for 14 or 15 inch of the OEM over the Hydras.
Along with we already have boxes of parts, trim kit, etc. Waiting for trim until it’s painted. Looking to do Scotia Blue. She’s pretty set on the OEM big face hubcaps lol.
I’m about handling and all that but that’s what my cars for, we’re looking to just restore this one to a really nice state as interior is 11/10 on it.
I may be interested in your current rims - price point? And how do we contact you ?