The wipers on my 91 240 Wagon stay on...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wipers on my 91 240 Wagon stay on...

when they shouldn't. Looking for answers why this may be so, and perhaps an explanation or reference for how to remove the stalk if it needs replacing.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you might have to pull the steering wheel to access the turn switches... does a 91 240 have an airbag (I know 91 7/9's do)? if so, extra precautions are required on the steering wheel pull.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Before you go pulling the steering wheel to get the stalk off (not an easy task as '91 has an airbag), first I would check the wiper motor. It is mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side. There is a sheet metal cover on it that is attached by one screw (maybe two, I'm going from memory). Remove the cover and you should see a copper tab that grounds to the sheet metal cover. This tab is supposed to ground to the cover but can get corroded and cause trouble like you mention. Clean up this connection and see if it helps.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by act1292
Before you go pulling the steering wheel to get the stalk off (not an easy task as '91 has an airbag), first I would check the wiper motor. It is mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side. There is a sheet metal cover on it that is attached by one screw (maybe two, I'm going from memory). Remove the cover and you should see a copper tab that grounds to the sheet metal cover. This tab is supposed to ground to the cover but can get corroded and cause trouble like you mention. Clean up this connection and see if it helps.
Replaced the relay yesterday and the same thing happens with both relays.

Cleaned the copper tab just a few minutes ago and it did not help.

Could the motor itself be failing? There's the exact same one at the junk yard for $25. A switch costs the same, so I wonder which to try.

What is the issue with the airbag anyway?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
no mo volvo

you have to exercise extreme caution and follow specific procedures to prevent the airbag from accidentally discharging when you are working on the steering wheel. its a small bomb.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Prior to purchasing replacement parts, some diagnosis is in order to differentiate between a faulty switch. There should be 4 wires running to the motor. The yellow wire should have 12v on it when the key is in the II position regardless of position of the wiper switch. When the wiper switch is in the low position, either the green or brown wire should have 12v. When the wiper switch is in the high position, the other wire should have 12v.

If this checks out, then your switch is working and the motor is where your problem is.

Just out of curiosity:

Does your wipers work in the intermittent position?
Does single wipe work?
High speed work?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Prior to purchasing replacement parts, some diagnosis is in order to differentiate between a faulty switch. There should be 4 wires running to the motor. The yellow wire should have 12v on it when the key is in the II position regardless of position of the wiper switch. When the wiper switch is in the low position, either the green or brown wire should have 12v. When the wiper switch is in the high position, the other wire should have 12v.

If this checks out, then your switch is working and the motor is where your problem is.

Just out of curiosity:

Does your wipers work in the intermittent position?
Does single wipe work?
High speed work?
I am unsure how to check the switch wires. I have not done anything regarding the switch, such as removing the cover on the steering column above it, and with some comments about the air bag, am hesitant.

The wipers are hit and miss with intermittent. This is where the issue developed. There would be no delay at all, and sometimes the wipers would not park until they were ready.

Then, it started to occur on a single swipe, but not as often, yet increasingly.

Low and high speed seem fine, although lately they may not park when the switch is returned to off.

I am thinking it's the motor and I should replace it with the one from the junk yard.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Given the symptoms you describe, I suspect a problem in the motor as well. All the checks I mentioned in my previous post can be done at the motor. It really sounds like the tab in the motor is not grounding properly to the cover. Was there corrosion on the tab when you checked it earlier?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Given the symptoms you describe, I suspect a problem in the motor as well. All the checks I mentioned in my previous post can be done at the motor. It really sounds like the tab in the motor is not grounding properly to the cover. Was there corrosion on the tab when you checked it earlier?
It was the motor. I got one from a junk yard and someone put it in, but it is very loud. I wonder if it is possible to get the old one fixed, as it ran much better and quieter, and is much cleaner.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 PM
no mo volvo

the wiper motors have a rotary switch in them that powers them when they aren't in the home position so they don't shut off mid stroke. my rear wiper, that switch has gone intermittent, so the wiper doesn't always return smoothly to 'home', but the more I use it, the better it works. I could imagine if somehow that wiper-switch got shorted the wiper would instead stay on all the time. and yeah, a bad ground, meh.

best way to know if you can fix the old motor is to take it apart, some have screws but others are rivetted, if its riveted, you'll need to drill them out, and replace them with either rivets or nuts and bolts with locktite or something, then see if you can figure out whats wrong.