Cold Start Problems 1995 Volvo 960 Sedan

Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Problems 1995 Volvo 960 Sedan

Hi, we are new members and our Volvo has been back and forth to garage for repair.

Car has about 115k on it. The car started rough while driving and during startup. We had the plugs changed, wires checked, vacuum lines checked, oil and filter changed. Afterwards, the car had trouble starting cold, and had a code for the mass airflow sensor. The mechanic changed it with a non-Volvo part. The car ran better when warm, but still has cold start problem. It will not idle to start, but have to keep foot on gas pedal to sustain RPM, once warm, after 2 minutes, running well.

Mechanic thought possible problem with computer, which we purchased genuine used and replaced. Car still won't start cold and while keeping foot on pedal to warm it up it has a high pitched whine. Mechanic disconnected 02 sensor and said it is not the problem. Does anyone have any idea what we should check next? It's a great car when its running!

Idle control valve?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The 960's (several mid 90's Volvo for that matter) have an air pump that is suppose to help the car idle at cold starts. My guess would be the ICV. Also check your vacuum system like flame trap. Temp sensor may also be an issue.

Try not to use non-Volvo electronic parts like MAF, ECU, etc. Volvo's don't do well with them.

Does the car have a CEL?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Last night the import mechanic said the ICV was not the problem (I asked after reading here on forums) and since yes, the CEL is on and the replaced computer is still reading for MAF, we ordered a genuine used MAF last night. The car is now home. My husband is willing to look at car today.

Couple more questions please!
The car is a 6 cylinder, 2.9L, -- where is the ICV located?
Does the 6 cylinder have the flame trap filter?
Where is the temp sensor?
I spent time googling and could not find the above answers.

For us newbies - the ICV is Idle Control Valve, MAF is Mass Air Flow Sensor and CEL is the Check Engine Light.

Thanks Super Moderator!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rspi asked about the CEL trying to find out what the trouble-code is. ICV is located below the MAF. Yes, these motors have the flame trap. Not sure what you mean by "filter" because flame trap is in-fact a filter.

"Temp Sensor" -- I think you mean Coolant Temp Sensor. If yes, that is located in the thermostat housing.

All this info can be found in the stickies at the top.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Default Genuine Volvo MAF worked!!

Thanks rspi and Henry10. We just received the genuine salvage yard MAF and replaced the newly purchased knock-off MAF and it worked! The car started right up on this cold NY morning, no whining, puttering etc!! Hoorah!! This car will only see Volvo parts from here on in ... everyone warned us that Volvos likes Volvo parts, and it is so true.

Cheers!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wonderful! Glad you are back with smooth sailing.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Default Cold start problems on my 960

I am having the same problem!!..It started a couple of days ago...I went to start my car(96 960..239,000 miles with new head valves etc) and the engine just wouldnt start...it was like I was out of gas...It would sputter like it was almost going to start then nothing...I kept turning the motor over till the battery went dead..

I also noticed that when i turn my key to the on position...my temp gage would go to half way...as if the car had been running a while..

Next...I jumped my car from a friends truck and kept turning and turning...smashing the gas peddle to the floor ..and after about 10 tries...the engine finally started....but I had to keep feathering the gas because it would not idle on its own...after about a minute...i could remove my foot from the peddle and it would idle on its own....However the MAF that normally kicks in about a minute after i start my car...didnt come on...

Once the car is started and running....it runs great..retarts just fine until the next morning...

This morning.... after several attemps to start...it started and the cooling fan came on and wouldnt shut off...

even after I turned off the motor ..it kept running...I had to disconnect the fan relay to keep from running down battery...and temp gauge was at middle..and car had not been running for more than 60 sec..

Well thats whats going on...Please advise...u guys...henry especially has always been right on the money....

Last edited by dejr; 01-09-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: forgot year