Coolant code question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant code question....

This morning my wife was driving the 96 960 and the engine light came on. On her lunch break she took it to the dealer - the Volvo dealer a place i NEVER go and they pulled the code a P0128 - Coolant temperature below thermostadt operating range.... dealer wanted to replace the thermostadt, thermostadt sensor and waterpump.... $894 claiming that all these parts were bad. Despite the water pump just being replaced less than 5,000k ago when I did the T-Belt using all Genuine Volvo parts. When she called me to tell me I went nuts. The car didnt overheat, the temperature gauge was in its normal range and the heat worked fine. The car has never done anything like that and I think i t was just a fluke. It was however -4 here in Canada so im thinking this somehow triggered that perticular code. Any Volvo reasons why this would do that? I just did the all the brakes, the whole front suspension, T and S belt and exhaust all myself. So i need a break from repairs.....

Also ive been hearing conflicting stories from various 960 s90 owners about if you should or shouldnt change the tranny fluid. Some say only after a rebuild as this can cause failure, whilst others claim its essential. Ive had mine for 50,000+k and never changed it... Whats the real deal here?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default From 1 960 owner to another...

Wow! The stealership strikes again... I'm with you, I try to avoid that place. I'm on my 2nd 960 but have never seen that code. It could be a number of things but if the temp guage is working I would simply reset the code to get rid of the CEL and see if it happens again. If it happens again I would replace the thermostat, clear the code again and see what happens. If it happens again, I would check the wireing.

As for the transmission fluid, I have never changed it in either of my 960's. The one I sold my 2nd cousin, '95 model, has over 210,000 miles on it (I almost flipped it on the interstate during rush hour. Hit a fully inflated wheel & tire. Going down the freeway on 2 wheels for about 100 yards was wild ). The one I have now, a '97 model, only has about 83,000 miles. Neither has had transmission fluid replaced. My daughter just totaled it hitting a road sign (she is fine). The sign had a street light on top of it which popped off and smashed the roof just behind the sunroof glass. I'm getting it fixed anyway for a fraction of what the insurance company paid me .

I kinda feel like 960 owners are kinda left out of the fun stuff. Just doesn't seem to be many toys, etc. out there for us...