Recharging 2.9l Volvo S90 A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recharging 2.9l Volvo S90 A/C

Well, I figured this one out pretty well. The following is what I did and is not to be construed as the proper procedure(although it worked for me).

The port is located near the firewall right off the evaporator(the silver cylinder that has a label on top showing 134a refrigerent. You unscrew the black cap(it has writing on it showing how much torque to tighten it back up). You close the gauge shut and start the engine. Attached the quick fit end of the gauge to the port. It will show erratic movement from 20 psi to 50 psi if the system is not fully charged and your clutch is "ticking" open and shut.

Take the gauge off, screw in the can of 134a(be sure the gauge is turned counterclock wise so the inside pin does not puncture the center of the threaded R134a can. After you screw the can on, start the engine for a few minutes. Connect the quick fit end of the gauge to the port and you will see the gauge still move erratically. Slowly turn the gauge clockwise to puncture the opening of the can . You then turn the gauge counterclockwise to open the flow of refrigerent. You will notice the can of refrigerent get colder as you charge the system. Keep the can upright/gauges where you can clearly read them as you are filling the system.

You will notice the gauge slowly leveling off the longer you add the refrigerent. As the system cycles, the gauge will fluxuate between 20-40 psi.
Shut the flow of refrigerent off by turning the gauge clockwise to push the pin back into the opening of the can. Once it is shut, you should have a stable reading of 25-30 psi. Wait a few minutes, with the engine still running, and reconnect as before, You want to have a stable reading close to 30 psi. This should also be indicated on the gauge as "full". Do not put more than 30 psi in the system. You want to make one last check of the stable pressure by shutting off the flow of can by turning the gauge clockwise to push the pin back into the can opening.

Disconnect the gauge from the port, screw the cap on and gently tighten(do not over tighten). Road test.

One indicator to look for after recharging, the clutch will no longer "tick" every 5-10 seconds since the sytem is no charged and flow pressure is complete.

This was my first attempt ever to recharge a system. I have vast DIY mechanical experience and generally can diagnois and repair most problems. If you don't use all the refrigerent in the can(I didn't) do not unscrew the can from the gauge.. It is still under pressure and will fly down the road.
Hope this helps someone else who wants to tackle this fix.