rpm vs mpg vs mph is it the trans or the tork converter or am I just an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm vs mpg vs mph is it the trans or the torque converter or am I just an idiot

I just bought a 1997 960 wagon with 180K. A supposed full dealer history, which I have yet to see, how ever under the hood is so stock and clean, down to the volvo battery! I paid 1600 which includes two sets of wheels with almost new winter and summer tires. Winter tires are on the car now and it has been -6 to 20 deg F for my first week with the car. Ok here is my question, what should the RPM's be at say 40mph, 50mph, 60,mph,75mph? The reason I ask is that I have been reading up in the forums and now I dont know what to think. My first tank of reg unleaded got me around 16mpg. There was some warming up of the car with the cold, but I would say it should not have cost me more than 1mpg. What I seem to notice is that it never really shifts into overdrive. I can coax it into an almost overdrive sometimes, and the weird thing is it seems to be eaiser to do when cold. Say at 60, it will hover around 2800-3000rpm and then I can feather the gas and coast and get it to drop down to say 2400-2600, which still seems high to me. I have tried to press the sport button but it seems to have no effect. So what should my RPM be at various speeds? Could I need a trans flush/filter?(or at 180K am I just begging to kill the tranny), does the switch ever go out an "lock" the car in sport mode? Is the torque converter bad (and I don't really even know what that is, just read it somewhere on here)? Or is there something else, like I'm a total idiot? Any help would be appreciated, as the car is totally rust free, everything works(other than the heated/power drivers seat but that is a very secondary issue right now), two sets of mats for the interior, and I just kinda dig the car. Thanks to all!

Last edited by milwaukee; 03-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM

I hear you on the weather, I'm in the Chicago area. Your questions are legitimate, the fuel economy seems a little low, but weather does bring that down quite a bit, my '94 averaged about 18 in the summer, sometimes around 15 in the winter, but warm up idling, and short trips really have an effect.

The sport/economy mode on the console only changes the shift points and the down shift points under heavy throttle. It does not control torque shift lock, that I am aware of that is. When the engine is fully warmed, the torque convertor should lock up on a steady throttle at 45 mph. You can tell usually by a slight hitch in the car, kind of like hitting a small bump. You can confirm this by pressing the accelerator down slightly and there is a slight increase in vehicle speed, but no real forward movement in engine rpm.

Since this car is new to you, you should confirm the timing belt replacement, consider replacing anyway to be sure, depending on miles, the water pump, dampner, and timing belt pulleys.

Also, check the trans fluid for color and odor. Flush if needed, that to will help with mpg when driving with a cold engine.

Good luck and enjoy the car.

DanR '94 964 390,000 miles (156,000 on the new engine)

Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM

Timing belt was done at 127k at the dealer, so I have a few miles yet, though i do need to see what else was done with the belt. I am going for a trans flush since I cant easily check the condition my self. Thanks much for your reply! One other question, I read on here(or somewhere) that the pcv valve is quite important on these cars. Is that true, and should I have that done right away as well? Oh, what is a 964? Is that like saying an E34 in BMW speak, or is it a mainstream model name? Again thanks a lot for calming me down about this!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milwaukee
Timing belt was done at 127k at the dealer, so I have a few miles yet, though i do need to see what else was done with the belt. I am going for a trans flush since I cant easily check the condition my self. Thanks much for your reply! One other question, I read on here(or somewhere) that the pcv valve is quite important on these cars. Is that true, and should I have that done right away as well? Oh, what is a 964? Is that like saying an E34 in BMW speak, or is it a mainstream model name? Again thanks a lot for calming me down about this!
The PCV/oil trap is an easy DIY project. Very cheap. You may just clean yours.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milwaukee
The PCV/oil trap is an easy DIY project. Very cheap. You may just clean yours.
BTW, on your Overdrive lockup question;

I am not sure about the Volvo, but I have a Buick Reatta that has to satisfy 3 inputs to engage,

1. Over 48 MPH
2. Temperature above 145 degrees (engine coolant)
3. Keep foot away from brake pedal, ( might want to check that brake switch is not partially engaged.

Last edited by southpaw47; 03-25-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Yes, 964 is Volvo speak, the last door is how many doors there are on the car. A two door, if one existed would be 962, and the station wagon is a 965.

The PVC sytem is tricky to get access, the oil separator that is tough. But most critical is the flame trap, whick is the 3/4 in black hose connecting to the rubber intake duct just before the throttle plate.

Synthetic oil and one really never has to worry about oil sludge again.

DanR