Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

’95 850 No Heat. -25C Outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ’95 850 No Heat. -25C Outside

I’ve already changed the heater core and thermostat since the thermo housing was leaking and the heater core was plugged.

I checked the rubber heater pipes with a thermometer and they were within a degree of each other.

The blower and AC works wonderfully. I’ve read on this forum that if the blower electrical system is faulty some lights should flash but there are no flashing lights in the dashboard. Service light is the only one that doesn’t shut off immediately after startup but that too goes away after 30 seconds.

The engine is a B5252S if that amounts to the problem but I highly doubt it.

The picture below shows the climate control panel. I’ve tried every combo of turning **** on and off to no avail. I only get air the same temperature as outside.

What could be the problem?
I kind of critically need this to have heat as the engine on my 240 decided to throw a camshaft seal and spit out most of it’s oil.

Image of the climate control panel

Old 12-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 12-09-2021, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

the way the car is designed is the coolant is always flowing through the heater core and the temperature is controlled by the "blend doors". Even without the blower you should get some heat assuming the heater door is open. As you noted ECC faults are shown by the AC and REC lights blinking but I think there's also a jumper setting in the LED diagnostics port that cane read climate control faults. Check out volvotips.com to see if they list out the jumper pin to use and the interpretation of the fault codes. Do you get any airflow from the blower and does the AC work? Did you check for any blown fuses or stuck relays? Also, sometimes the blend door motors detach from the door so the motor moves but the door doesnt You may need to do some dash disassembly to have a look see.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are the codes and diagram:

Volvo ECC (Electronic Climate Control) Fault Code List
111 No fault
121 Outside temperature sensor shorted to ground
122 Outside temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
123 Driver’s side interior temperature sensor shorted to ground
124 Driver’s side interior temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
125 Passenger’s side interior temperature sensor shorted to ground(earth)
126 Passenger’s side interior temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
131 Driver’s side air duct temperature sensor shorted to ground(earth)
132 Driver’s side air duct temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
133 Passenger’s side air duct temperature sensor shorted to ground(earth)
134 Passenger’s side air duct temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
135 No signal from engine coolant temperature sensor
141 Faulty signal from driver’s side temperature selector switch
143 Faulty signal from passenger’s side temperature selector switch
145 Faulty signal from function selector switch
151 Signal from fan speed sensor missing or too high
152 Signal from fan speed sensor shorted to earth
211 Driver’s side damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
212 Driver’s side damper motor position sensor shorted to earth
221 Passenger’s side damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
222 Passenger’s side damper motor position sensor shorted to earth
231 Ventilation damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
232 Ventilation damper motor position sensor shorted to earth
233 Floor/defrost damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
234 Floor/defrost damper motor position sensor shorted to earth
235 Recirculation damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
236 Recirculation damper motor position sensor shorted to earth
311 Driver’s side damper motor shorted to earth or shorted to 12 volts
312 Passenger’s side damper motor shorted to earth or shorted to 12 volts
313 Ventilation damper motor shorted to earth or shorted to 12 volts
314 Floor/defrost damper motor shorted to earth or shorted to 12 volts
315 Recirculation damper motor shorted to earth or shorted to 12 volts
321 Driver’s side damper motor active too long
322 Passenger’s side damper motor active too long
323 Ventilation damper motor active too long
324 Floor/defrost damper motor active too long
325 Recirculation damper motor active too long
411 Blower fan seized or drawing excessive current
412 Driver’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan shorted to earth
413 No control voltage at driver’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan
414 Driver’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan seized
415 Passenger’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan shorted to earth
416 No control voltage at passenger’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan
417 Passenger’s side interior temperature inlet fan seized
418 No control signal to blower fan power stage
419 Faulty diagnostic signal from blower fan power stage
420 ECU fault in program memory
511 Damper motor limit position self-adjustment not carried out

Old 12-10-2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
the way the car is designed is the coolant is always flowing through the heater core and the temperature is controlled by the "blend doors". Even without the blower you should get some heat assuming the heater door is open. As you noted ECC faults are shown by the AC and REC lights blinking but I think there's also a jumper setting in the LED diagnostics port that cane read climate control faults. Check out volvotips.com to see if they list out the jumper pin to use and the interpretation of the fault codes. Do you get any airflow from the blower and does the AC work? Did you check for any blown fuses or stuck relays? Also, sometimes the blend door motors detach from the door so the motor moves but the door doesnt You may need to do some dash disassembly to have a look see.

The Blower motor works 100%. That’s tried and tested. AC doesn’t since it has leaked all the fluid out. I haven’t found any blown fuses last time I checked but having another gander won’t do any harm. From what I gather from those videos linked above is that it’s most likely the motor has detached.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

great post, tonyfr!

Old 02-08-2023, 08:34 AM

TonyFR...I know this post is old ,but it was -20 in WYO...and intermittent heat is not ' Gettin it " please help ?

So Howdy everyone … I have a 94 950 turbo W/ECC, heres the short/short version of problem first off i pulled codes and I know I have a few issues W/ actuators etc , codes I got were 231,233,511 …not too bad since when I got the car it had no dash …It seemed to be blowing hot air and would function enuff to get by , but now what happens is … Start car blower runs full speed or wherever I place speed switch …after about 5? min blower quits , no screetching no noise ...just quits… If I shut car off fire it up and it does same thing , everytime I restart motor blows great then quits …Anybody got any tips 1 thanxz in advance !

update...Recently I tried this with the key in position II... the blower seemed to NOT kick off, W/ engine not running , Ign. on ...

Old 02-08-2023, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

if the blower quits after a few minutes, my first thought is the ballast resistor is heating up as parts expand, its got a solder crack that is causing an open circuit, Note the resistor is not in play when you have the fan set on max. PS on the 850s, coolant always flows through the heater core so you should get to that part. If the heater core remains cold (you would need to pop off the side of the center console to reach the heater core) then its clogged and needs to be replaced. As you noted if there's an issue with the blend doors, you may not get any airflow from the core to the vents. If the blower doesn't work on full but does return when the car is cold, you may have an issue with the ECC controller - they are pretty cheap on eBay.

PS - check out volvotips.com to see if there is a trouble shooting flow chart posted.

Last edited by mt6127; 02-08-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:23 PM

Blows hotter n' the Hubs of hell , heater core brand new, blower dont work on high so if it is resistor , WHY ?

Old 02-08-2023, 07:56 PM

mt6127 thanxz , I did check the Volvotips site ,great info on diagnosing ,and codes and more ! I have easy acces to most of the heater components as I put a complete new dash in this as P.O. tried to do a heater core W/ a hatchet it seems , as it is now I think I have 1 bad actuator on the left the diverter I think and like I said before I consistantly pulled a 231,233, and a 511 , but you would think if the blower was bad etc I would get a 411 ?... i'm gonna hook an aux. ground to the harness , and when it goes out , just ground it ...that might tell me something ...