Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1994 Volvo 850 Air Channel Selector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Volvo 850 Air Channel Selector?

Hi there, I've got a few problems that appeared all at once, but this is one I can't find a guide for online.

About three months ago, I replaced my blower motor.

About a week ago, I had two problems appear nearly simultaneously, I don't know if they are related. 1) I'm getting a chemical/dust kind of smell when I kick on the heat in my car. Upon researching, it sounds like my heater core may be leaking, so I'm going to go ahead and try to replace that, I've found good videos and support on how to do that. I will also check and replace my cabin air filter.

2) What I don't know: My cabin air selector (MCC center ****) seems to be partially broken. It can change from being set to 'Face' to 'Floor' and in between those two (Left, Down, and Right) , but when I set it to dashboard/windshield setting (Up), I get no air out of the dash vents. I hear the motor blowing away, but no air is coming out anywhere. That must be bad for the motor, so I quickly switch it away... but yeah, the motor blows, but no air ever comes up to the windshield vents. (EDIT: to clarify, when I set the selector UP, no air comes out ANYWHERE, not even towards the feet or to the face. I don't know where the air is going, if it is blowing out or hitting a wall.) If it wasn't so wet where I lived and a fogging windshield wasn't a daily problem, I wouldn't even mind that much, but it is, so I do.

To my knowledge these things happened at the same time. I don't see how they could be related, but if anyone has any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by skrulewi; 03-07-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

They're not related. The controller for the "mode" has two cables and it just moves two dampers. I bet one of the cables is not doing anything.

The cables move by a cam, so their movement is sort of crazy. When you replace that heater core, you can look up in there and see what it looks like. Removing the control is not at all easy, I will admit it. I've done it, but I hope you are a contortionist. I hope you will just need to snap a cable back in place and it will just start working.

The temperature controls have two other cables but I think you'll be able to tell which ones those are.