Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Problems

Recently I purchased a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo, knowing it had some problems but figuring they weren't so bad. I don't have much clue what I'm doing as I'm just starting out here, so I was hoping some much more knowledgeable folks on here would be able to help

The problems are:

When driving, the vehicle will drift to the left if left on its own. The steering wheel will also shake, and vibrate. I tried to look this one up on my own and it sounds like an Alignment issue, except most places I found referred to this at HIGH speeds, where on this car it is actually most noticeable at low speeds. Still there at highway speed though.

It is very zippy from 0-45 miles/hour, but when taken up to higher speeds there are some problems. For example, the biggest problem is when accelerating on a entry ramp onto a highway, the car will get up to about 60mph with limited difficulties but then will just refuse to go any faster for quite some time. I have literally just sat on a ramp before with the gas pedal pushed completely to the floor, for NO acceleration at all past 60mph. It will take 10-15 seconds before finally getting faster, and then only slowly.

It seems like a turbo problem? Also, after a while of driving at highway speeds the car will intermittently "jump" up to speed for like 2 seconds, and then kick back to normal speed. It's almost as if the Turbo isn't even working, and then randomly decides to kick in every once in a while.

I know about Turbo lag, but as far as I can tell (this is my first Turbo vehicle) it is far, FAR worse than what is accepted.

I was quoted $100 dollars for the wheel alignment, and I have absolutely no idea how much it will cost to fix the turbo issue.

On a side note, if repairs to the engine would be too costly would there be a way just to flat out disconnect the turbo itself so there's no random jumping speeds while cruising the highway?

Thank you for any answers, I'm at a loss

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM

You defiantly need an alignment and the shaking sounds like a balancing issue. The shaking only occurs at certain speeds than its balancing... If its constant and gets worse with speed could be a broken band in a tire, or a axle..

As far as the acceleration issue, I would start with a full stage 0 first, and go from there..
What is a stage 0 you ask?-----look here-----> http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/what-is-stage-0.html
I know there is a stage 0 write up here but I cant find it anywhere...
Do you have any check engine or other lights on?

It doesent sound like lag cause even if the turbo was not functioning the car would still accelerate with alot less power but accelerate none the less.
could be a fuel delivery issue, could be a ecu issue, could be a million things but do a stage 0 first and then take it from there..

Here is a great kit for the stage 0 http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volv...it-fcp-850tsk1

Last edited by MattyXXL; 04-08-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, please read the NEW 850 OWNER thread. It will help you learn what you need to know about getting the car running smooth real quick.

Welcome to VF.

Last edited by rspi; 04-08-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You should check to see if the turbo is turning. If you're not sure how or don't have a friend who knows how you might want to take it in to have it checked out for you. If your turbo is not spinning freely or sticking it could cause the problems you are experiencing by being a restriction to higher speed air flow to the engine instead of a help.
If the engine has a lot of sludge under the oil cap or was poorly taken care of for oil changes and not being allowed to idle for a bit after parking it but before turning it off the turbo may have a lot of crud built up inside it that's baked in there and causing the bearings to bind.

I had it happen on mine. You might want to consider using an engine flush, Seafoam or something to run with the oil to add more detergents.

I just rebuilt a 16T and it was much worse than the before picture below. The shaft bearings were so bad it was almost ready to have the fins start hitting the intake and exhaust housings.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Problems-turbo-crud.jpg   1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Problems-turbo-without-crud.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 04-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 AM

Sounds like your driverside outer tie rod is bad, I had the same problem with the passenger side it probably needs alignment done also...as far acceleration issues go stage 0 first like everyone else said, make sure and change the fuel filter all you need is a jack. Check your vaccum lines and replace dry cracked ones. Usally its old plug wires that will limit acceleration....run some fuel injector cleaner and do a seafoam treatment and all of the above and you should be good!!!!