Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

5 speed swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed swap questions

I'm about to do a 5 speed swap. I know, I know....there's a whole bunch of threads on 5 speed conversions. The problem is, I've spent hours reading all of them and I've got information overload. I'm forgetting stuff as I'm taking in so much new stuff, so I hope you'll forgive a few basic questions. I want to make sure I've got it right before I start ordering parts, or pulling stuff at the local wrecker.

Several threads say to get the R clutch. I'm having trouble finding a listing for a clutch kit, given that the car wasn't available in the U.S. with a manual. I can only assume that reference is to the '98 V70R, which I believe was the only year the car was available here with a stick shift...yes, no? What was the diameter of the R clutch disc, as compared to the N/A disc?

Axles are the same, manual vs. auto...yes?

As long as I've got it torn apart, I'll be swapping in the N/A cams. I've also seen reference to the N/A throttle body. Any other stuff I should plan to do, in terms of simple mods?

Any input appreciated

Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 PM

i would pick either the swap or mods to discuss because being both in the same thread is just going to get bad

Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As you are taking it in, write it down or cut and paste and create your own transmission swap document with the info you need and the questions you need to ask to clarify anything.

Just reading and going on to the next article is truly a waste of the time since you will lose so much unless you're a sponge.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, start a different thread for the N/A cams and TB; i can help w/that since i just did it.

Sorry, can't help you on the 5spd mod but Tech did a pretty good one while back; have you seen this one?
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...through-39324/

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 AM

I guess I should have been more specific when I said "any input appreciated". Then again, I didn't realize the input would be 'hey, you should not ask so many questions, and write everything down". That certainly helps. Thanks.

I don't have any questions about the cams or the throttle body. The question was whether there's anything else I should be considering doing while I have the car torn apart.

I read the linked thread earlier today. I saw nothing about the R clutch.

How about this....can I get a Mod to just delete this thread, and I'll just start 4 or 5 new ones? I didn't think more than a couple questions in one post would cause such distress, considering they're all part of one project.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Administrator

"Axles are the same, manual vs. auto...yes?"

No, not yes. They are a different length. I think the manual axles are 10mm longer.
That said I have an auto and I'm running the manuals as I couldn't get my hands on a set of auto axles. So far (50K) no problems.
Not sure if running the auto axles being 10mm shorter than they should be would be any problem. Might want to try that one over on Volvospeed as there are way more performance guys who have done the swap there.

NA throttle body with a 960 smooth plate and either an NA manifold or your turbo manifold port matched to the bigger TB to allow the throttle plate to pivot.

Attached Thumbnails 5 speed swap questions-throttle-body-turbo-vs-na-labeled.jpg   5 speed swap questions-throttle-body-plastic-wedge-2.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 09-30-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mudpie

Several threads say to get the R clutch. I'm having trouble finding a listing for a clutch kit, given that the car wasn't available in the U.S. with a manual. I can only assume that reference is to the '98 V70R, which I believe was the only year the car was available here with a stick shift...yes, no? What was the diameter of the R clutch disc, as compared to the N/A disc?

Axles are the same, manual vs. auto...yes?

As long as I've got it torn apart, I'll be swapping in the N/A cams. I've also seen reference to the N/A throttle body. Any other stuff I should plan to do, in terms of simple mods?
1. The 850R clutch kit is part number# 272218
Search that number for the best price.

2. The Manual axles are thicker. Either will work just fine.

3. There are two ways to move to a 3" throttle body. One is to purchase a N/A manifold(which is already opened up) or the other is to port the hole larger. Either way you will need the intake manifold opened up to clear the new throttle body. You do not have to go with a 960 plate, the reason people do this is because the plate has no puck on it. The puck helps with throttle response so you dont get a big surge when you first crack open the throttle or get a big shutdown jerk when you let off. I personally tried both and am using the butterfly with the puck. Its the same thickness of the cross bar anyway so I dont know why others dont use just an N/A throttle body.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 5 speed swap question as well, I'm about to the m56l swap into my 95 855T and is it absolutely necessary to use the manual fly wheel bolts or can i use the auto fly wheel bolts with locktite?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 91shelby
I have a 5 speed swap question as well, I'm about to the m56l swap into my 95 855T and is it absolutely necessary to use the manual fly wheel bolts or can i use the auto fly wheel bolts with locktite?
The Auto bolts will be shorter than the manual bolts. The manual bolts need to make their way through some thick steel, the autos go through a flex plate. You'll need to get manual bolts. Also, be sure to put a thread sealant on them as they do go all the way through the crank into the oil cavity.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 AM

The M56l is the transmission from a NA 10V model. This is not a recomended swap for a Turbo. The gear ratios are shorter and also the bearings inside the trans are weaker and will not cope with the torque of the turbo engine.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scutyde
The M56l is the transmission from a NA 10V model. This is not a recomended swap for a Turbo. The gear ratios are shorter and also the bearings inside the trans are weaker and will not cope with the torque of the turbo engine.

What hat did you pull that rabbit out of? Absolutely not true.

I PREFER the M56L over the M56H. I have broken 2 M56H trans. Neither is stronger than the other. They are the same except the gear ratios. I prefer the M56L because of the gear ratios. My final drive is 3.77:1 over the M56H 4.00:1. It all becomes clear when you get on the freeway and have your RPMs screaming and you will wish you had that automatic again.

The bigger issue is the plastic tipped shift forks. You want a 96+ later manual to get the brass forks. The tips will break off with a hard shift and leave you grinding gears. Trust me there.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by scutyde
Who is it that says it's not the recommended swap ??

If you know enough to say it's not the recommended trans than do you know what is and why ??

Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 AM

The infos I have from the VPerformance guys here in Germany who tuned an 850 up to 800bhp++... They claim that the bearings from the differential are weaker in the NA Versions of the M56.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Administrator

At that level very little is going to hold together for long if pushed

But if someone has 800 Hp in an 850 I'd love to be there to break it.

At the higher levels most people will pull the stock diff and go with a Qualfie. Just shooting from the hip but I'm guessing you likely need one approaching or shortly after 300 Hp as you'll just be spinning the one wheel without it.
BUT, even with the Quaife unit I think you're still spinning it on the stock bearings.

Now I'm guessing but those side bearings are likely the same in both transmissions. Guys who build high performance cars should know but since it's a factory stock transmission and it's used on a ton of different cars I'm guessing the engineers didn't spec two different differential carrier bearings for such a small difference in power.
Did a little more research and I'd say the 56L and H use the same bearing.

Quaife QDF12J ATB Helical LSD Diff Limited Slip Differential M56 5-Speed Volvo S40, S60, S70, V50, V70, 850, C30 | Whitehead Performance

One source for trans parts and R clutch
cj.yother.com

Attached Thumbnails 5 speed swap questions-trans-differential-inside-1.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info on the clutch / axles / intake. My local yard has several N/A 850's and S/V70's, so I'll grab an intake and go that route.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Administrator

I didn't see it mentioned but the one thing you'll need to hook up that NA throttle body to the intercooler piping is a special silicone hose.
Only place I know of is from Snaab.

NA Throttle Body Hose for Turbos 93-97 850

Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. I would have been in the garage with a heat gun and some pvc pipe, or something equally dumb

Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Well, I'd be there too. I sourced the throttle body and plate and was going to install that last year and learned that the intake manifold needs to be "clearanced" for the larger plate to be able to swing open. On my Supercoupe the throttle plate is in the middle of a tube so when I did that it was just a bolt on and I would have tried the same thing and been standing there wondering why my throttle wasn't opening up . . . opps.

Now that I'm thinking of it you also need to replace or modify the short throttle linkage at the throttle body. Does it ever end

Throttle linkage-Adjustable

Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM

I figured I'd just grab it with the intake/throttle body