Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Not getting fuel

Hello all,

I was driving the other day, Check Engine came on, but there were no noticeable issues. A couple days later, as I was driving to work, she just died at a stop light. I was able to get it started back up after a couple tries and I was on my way. It was a bit sluggish and intermittent w/ acceleration. It then ran fine. When I started home that afternoon, it died again. I pulled over and it was not starting...turning over, puttering, trying to start, but it seemed it wasn't getting gas.

I got out, drummed on the fuel filter a little bit thinking maybe it was time to replace the filter. It started back up and drove another 5 miles. That had to be the issue...well it died again after the 5 miles. I had my wife bring me a fuel filter...replace the filter. Nothing. Doing the same thing...trying to start; puttering, then dying.

I had it towed home...did a little bit of research on here and tested the fuel pump relay. With Robert's guidance, I was able to determine that with using a jumper, the pump was working. So I replaced the relay. It started right up. Was a bit sluggish at first, then was running fine.

I went ahead and put in some fuel injector cleaner while I was at it as it has been several months since I had done that. I let it run for about 10 minutes and was idling just perfectly. I got in to turn it off and right as I was beginning to turn the key off, it died again. I tried to start it...same thing. Trying to start and puttering...dying.

I took out the trunk carpet so that I could hear the pump, and I had my son turn on the key...the pump is pumping for a second and turning off. I did the relay jump again and the pump remains on as it should.

I borrowed a scanner to diagnose the CEL and I got the code P-0103...MAF. What in the world!! I am utterly confused at this point. Why did replacing the relay work for about 20 minutes, and now it won't start?

Help.

Thank you

Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 PM

P0103 is, more specifically, high voltage or higher than expected air flow. Most commonly caused by the MAF being unplugged or damaged wiring.

Could also be air leaks post MAF, Dirty MAF, bad MAF or bad ECU (worst case.) Do some more research and test, try cheapest things 1st.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

The pump does come on for a sec and then stop...that is normal.

What you need to be checking is the fuel pressure at the rail. Here is one of my 850's that lost the fuel pump. It would work sometimes and other times not. Watch the fuel pressure build then fall as I turn the key on and off. Near the end you will see the pressure hold and the car will then start and run. But next time it may not.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree, sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Since you have already replaced the fuel filter, I'm thinking it is the fuel pump. A quick way to check if it is a fuel problem is the next time it will not start, spray a 1-2 second burst of starting fluid into the air intake hose (The ribbed tubular hose connected to the air filter box). If the car starts and runs briefly it is a fuel delivery problem. If not, it is a most likely a spark problem