Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Sunroof/Moonroof removal without headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Sunroof/Moonroof removal without headliner

I have a sunroof/moonroof blocked about one half to one third open. It will not close neither with short rapid presses on the switch nor by hand with the motor assembly removed.

I am considering taking out the headlner so that I can remove the sunroof/moonroof from inside the car. Has anyone already done this? Does anyone have any photographs of the sunroof/moonroof in place with the headliner removed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igualada
I have a sunroof/moonroof blocked about one half to one third open. It will not close neither with short rapid presses on the switch nor by hand with the motor assembly removed.

I am considering taking out the headlner so that I can remove the sunroof/moonroof from inside the car. Has anyone already done this? Does anyone have any photographs of the sunroof/moonroof in place with the headliner removed?

Thanks in advance.
see attached pdf

Cheers!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print.pdf (667.9 KB, 583 views)
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smith Volvo
see attached pdf

Cheers!
Many thanks - extremely useful - I will be trying to carry out this work tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:41 PM

A couple things of value I can add

1) The plastic pieces in 850s are INCREDIBLY brittle at this point in life. Be VERY careful. When it's time to remove something, don't grab one corner and pull, use an interior tool and work it along the piece, moving it in small increments.

2) Be prepared to replace the plastic trim ring that connects the headliner to the sunroof assembly frame. These are incredibly difficult to remove without breaking them. I've had the headliner out of both of my 850s, and I broke them both. Tried to pull a bunch at the junkyard, and they all broke, too. Replacement trim rings are about $30 IIRC. I priced one - but right now, I've got one that only broke in 1 place that is holding well enough to keep me going for awhile, as the headliner needs recovered anyways, and I wasn't going to put a new one on there to recover the headliner in a few months, and need yet another trim ring.

3) The visors have wiring harnesses running to them for the illuminated mirrors. The plugs for these are located *behind* the dash board. That's right. You have to pull the dash to get to the connectors. I cut mine and added a new plug - there's plenty of room behind the A pillar covers. A nice upgrade, if you so desire, is a visor out of a newer (say 2000 model) 70 series - has a built in garage door opener. The 70 series had connectors. Guess Volvo figured that out after the 850s

Old 08-13-2016, 12:16 AM

1 & 2) You are so right - despite being extremely careful and following the two links below concerning removing the sunroof plastic trim ring, it broke:

S70 Headliner Removal With Sunroof, And Sunroof Trim Removal (Pic Heavy, + A Video On Trim Removal) - Cosmetic and Detailing - Volvospeed Forums

I hope I can re-install it even though it has snapped in two.

Otherwise, thanks to the *.pdf from "Smith Volvo", everything went relatively well though I had some problems and spent substantial time removing the plastic trim above the fifth door containing the light unit. The headliner is now out of the car.

3) In my 1996 French 850 break only the passenger side has a light in the sun visor. Taking off the trim on passenger front post/pillar "A" I found that the two cables had been cut, each copper conducter had been twisted together and covered with insulating tape! I expect this had been done when an anti-theft system had been fitted. This includes a small infra-red detector mounted high on each pillar trim. I will replace the twisted wires with a connector.

I will attempt this weekend to remove and repair the sunroof assembly.

Many thanks for your advice.