Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 tranny vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 tranny vibration

Our '97 850 has begun to feel like it's bogging down when it's in drive and the car is stopped (or while in reverse, and stopped), like while you're at a light. It also tends to vibrate somewhat upon accelerating from a stop. Neutral and park seem fine. I'm guessing that front wheel drives have torque converters like rear wheel drives. My guess would be that it's the torque converter, or associated part, but I wanted to check here. I couldn't find anything in searches.

Either way, it's gotta go into the shop but I was wondering if any of you have experienced this and what it needed. It's got about 135K miles with no service to tranny other than fluid flushing/replacement.
Thanks for any help!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 850 tranny vibration

Hi,

Sorry about the problem.

First thing I would do is to check the condition & proper level of the transmission fluid (Dexron-III/Mercon). It has to be clear red and must not have burnt odor to it.

If the above checks fine, then I assume the vibration is caused by worn out engine & transmission mounts, or poor idle due to neglected tune-up or dirty throttle body.

I hope this gets you started. Will wait for your reply.

JPN

Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Oh noes I disagree with JPN and I'm still way too green to even think about doing that!

I think djb has the same problem I do, but his description is a little misleading.

The whole car shudders/vibrates, right djb? Bogging down? It's doing what my 850 is doing, it's in too high a gear, and is lugging the engine. If you are familiar with standard trans (manual), it feels JUST like that. Just read everything you can on our trans and you'll see others (myself included) have had various issues, and some threads are fleshed out to completion. I think you and I have the SAME issue, please please please keep us up to date with what you are told. I'm looking at PNP (Park-Neutral Position) (switch/sensor) and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I do not have a spare care at the moment so I cannot just drop it off some where... Please let us know what you find out! (also, don't listen just yet if they say 'the whole thing is toast')

Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM

The 850 is my wife's car, so I'm just gonna have to let her drive my truck ('04 Tacoma V6 4x4 d-cab TRD - [sm=smiley2.gif]), while I drive her car for a couple days - bummer. I am borrowing an OBD-II sensor from someone at work today to see if I can pull some codes.
I'll let you know what I come up with and what the solution is. To my knowledge, the shift arrow IS NOT blinking as I have seen in some posts that this is an indication of a bad mode selector switch. In any case, I believe that a position sensor has gone bad and needs replacing.I just need todrive it and see what the deal is.
It'salso intermittent at this point. when it gets hot and in alot of stop and go drivign(according to my wife) it getsworse.
Thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Pulled the OBD2 codes

Okay, I pulled the codes tonight on the 850:
P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System. I actually knew that the exhaust pump (exhaust fan, whatever) code would come up. It hasn't been working in a few years. Now for my soap box: Sweden is obviously a very beautiful place, and maybe three minutes of reduced emissions will go a long way, and maybe someone might even say there's some incremental savings in gas to be had by this, but this is a quirky volvo thing. The cost of replacing the exhaust fan and relay will completely trump any savings in gas that have occurred since we've owned the vehicle (oh well, other than a few weird quirks like this or the odometer gear going out it's a great vehicle - very reliable and safe)As for the emissions, well, I live in S.C., and there are no emissions or inspections; a heckuva lot of big-*** 4x4's going down the road though. YEEHAA!

P0301- Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected: Well, I need to look into this one. I guess cylinder 1 is gonna be on the far left or far right, huh? I'll do a compression check and look at the plug and wires. It's probably time to replace all of them.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Default RE: Pulled the OBD2 codes

I would definetly look at the Po301 code. I had a misfire in mine after degreasing the engine and rinsing and it did all kinds of crazy shaking and shimmying. When the misfires were really bad it would go from a steady CEL to a flashing one which basically meant to stop driving or be prepared to buy new cats and O2 sensors. My plug holes were filled with water and arcing out. Pulled the wires, shoved a paper towel in each hole to sop up water and dried the wires and all was well. Changed the wires the next week for good measure.

Where are you in SC? I grew up in Irmo near Columbia and will be visiting my parents over labor day in Chapin with my wife and daughter.