Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 855t misfire problems..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 855t misfire problems..

ok i got the ipd ignition tune up kit got it all put in and i still have a rough idle/misfiring.
when the car is idling it will make a pop sound like a solenoid or valve coming on then it will idle higher for about 15 seconds then it will make the sound again and go off.... dont know what this.
evap system fault code.
egr flow fault code-took it off and it was nice and clean looked like nothing was wrong with it..
rear o2 sensor codes.
and all 5 misfire codes.
already used injector cleaner chevron techron
anyone suggest anything?
and was wondering if the vac line from cbv goes to top of the egr because thats how mine was when i got it.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM

dang, i thought i had issues with my 95 850t i just bought. It was misfiring anytime the turbo would build boost.
but I replaced plugs/wires/cap/rotor and that solved it. I assume the ipd kit included a cap and rotor right?
I wouldnt think the o2 or evap would cause misfire, but then it could be a combo issue....mulitple small things adding up causing the system to not work right.

did the idle issue come around the same time as the misfire issue?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you have a valve issue. Maybe a broken valve. You should let a mechanic listen to it or post a video on YouTube. I would have a compression test done.
Compression Test - Volvo S70 GLT, 1998

Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosport
dang, i thought i had issues with my 95 850t i just bought. It was misfiring anytime the turbo would build boost.
but I replaced plugs/wires/cap/rotor and that solved it. I assume the ipd kit included a cap and rotor right?
I wouldnt think the o2 or evap would cause misfire, but then it could be a combo issue....mulitple small things adding up causing the system to not work right.

did the idle issue come around the same time as the misfire issue?
O2s do not cause misfires. His code is for the downstream O2 sensor and it's only function is to monitor catalytic converter efficiency. It will tell you when your cat is reaching the end of it's life but to the best of my knowledge it's input is not used for fuel mixture, ignition timing or any other computer management function.
IF ... it were the upstream O2 that one is used for fuel management. It still wouldn't cause a misfire as once it was seen by the computer as "bad" and set a code the computer would fall back on it's basic programming and run a bit richer as it's a safer operating parameter for the engine.

The evap code could be a source for a misfire if it was a major vacuum leak that was thinning out the mixture on all cylinders but it's not likely. Same with the EGR code if the code is for excess flow. That would be a vacuum leak at the wrong time and could easily cause a misfire.

Don't have a clue on the noise and idle problem but someone else might.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by volvoguy23
evap system fault code.
egr flow fault code-took it off and it was nice and clean looked like nothing was wrong with it..
rear o2 sensor codes.
and all 5 misfire codes.

and was wondering if the vac line from cbv goes to top of the egr because thats how mine was when i got it.
Might be helpful if you listed the actual code number you pulled.

Sounds like someone re-routed some vacuum lines under your hood. Are you talking about what is the "red" hose in the diagram ?? I'd make sure they all go where they are supposed to first before you spend a lot of time on the misfire or codes.
Not just the turbo ones but all of them.

Attached Thumbnails 94 855t misfire problems..-turbo-vacuum-hose-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Where would connection 22 be on the diagram? And i can here a vac leak near the throttle body and airbox area but couldn't feel anything I then went under the car on the drivers side and I could hear it better by the black canister. I was feeling around in that area but still couldnt feel anything what is the black canister underneath on the driverside? Would a clogged fuel filter cause bad misfire like this? I really don't want to believe its a broken valve because I had just a random misfire before I took the egr valve off And did the tune up. After I did all of this at once I started it up and now I have this problem.. so I dont think its a valve. The random misfire only happened when it was warm so maybe I screwed up the egr valve? I think ill take the airbox out so maybe ill be able to find the vac leak easier.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 PM

check ur firing order if you just did a tune up. clean ur throttle body and iac try that

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your fuel pressure regulator, on Monday I was working on a s60 r-design (awesome car BTW) having the exact same issues. watched values, and caught it after awhile acting up.

Check the ECT as well if you can with a computer.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM

any progress? got a similar issue with my car!

Old 03-18-2012, 05:31 PM

I just took the egr valve off and blocked it off... And got a new evap purge valve seems to be fine now...but now the tranny is shifting hard and slips for a second every now and then...