Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'96 850 leaking fuel injector...........repair or replace??

Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 850 leaking fuel injector...........repair or replace??

Have noticed a slight fuel smell while driving...finally did a visual inspection and find a small leak on one fuel injector....it appears to me to be leaking from the top....have not found any info in checking the forum..don't have much experience in fuel injectors...any advice on stopping the leak appreciated, is replaceing the seating gasket[s] or replacing the leaking injector or is it possible to remove and attempt a reseal?.....this is a usa version with lots of miles...............other than this,it runs and starts fine!
thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 06:34 PM

It could be something as simple as a cracked upper o-ring or seal between the injector and fuel rail, but you will have to pull the rail and injectors to find out for sure. After 16 years I just had one of my upper o-rings crack...

My advise get the kits for all 5 injectors and replace them all..
Locally Napa should have them, but otherwise FCP has them online.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, you probably need new o- rings. Not expensive or hard to fix. Be careful when installing the injectors that you don't tear them- a bit of force is needed to get them into their grooves, and it's easy to tear one. Lube with light oil first, and use PLASTIC tools if you have to use tools to get them on. Picks are fine for removal of old o- rings, but a no- no for installation.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 AM

appreciate your advice....is there any "trick" to removing each injector? the silver rail cover with the two bolts looks to be a unbolt and lift.....is that the case? if not, what is the procedure to remove and also, how about the re-install procedure?

regards

Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 AM

BTW... napa has the full kit for $4.48 per injector. Napa Part Number # CRB 212085

Its very simple job.
1. disconnect your battery
2. Bleed the excess fuel out of the valve at the end of the rail, it has pressure so be careful it may spray before it pours out.

3. Remove the fuel lines, Make sure you use the 2 wench method so you dont bend anything and you have more leverage.

4. Pull the Rail cover off and unplug the injectors.

5. remove the 2 bolts that hold the rail to the manifold

6. slightly wiggle the rail while pulling up, you may need to use some force especially if they have never been removed before.
7. Make sure you keep track of all your hardware, the rubber crush gaskets between the injector and the rail, top o-ring, bottom o-ring, and the rubber Orange o-ring gasket between the injector and the manifold so you can inspect each piece it see if thats where your problem was.

Make sure you use a little bit of oil on the new o-rings to lube them for installation. Very little oil will do you do not want them soaked.

Installation is the reverse of removal of course.

Last edited by MattyXXL; 06-16-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: copy pic links
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by david peters
Have noticed a slight fuel smell while driving...finally did a visual inspection and find a small leak on one fuel injector....it appears to me to be leaking from the top....have not found any info in checking the forum..don't have much experience in fuel injector...any advice on stopping the leak appreciated, is replaceing the seating gasket[s] or replacing the leaking injector or is it possible to remove and attempt a reseal?.....this is a usa version with lots of miles...............other than this,it runs and starts fine!
thanks
The seat is typically damaged when the injector seal has failed. In cases like this the head needs to be replaced. Some shops were successful at re-machining the seat yet it really needs correct tooling and proper skill.

Last edited by armandjones82; 06-06-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by armandjones82
the head needs to be replaced.
You cant be serious...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM

there seems to be a difference of opinion on this issue....i'm not knowledgeable enough to know which is correct...anyone care to enlighten me before i tackle this?
orginal suggestion seemed to be cut and dry....do this and get this...i've already purchased the new o ring injector kit
thanks

Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM

A leaking injector has nothing to do with replacing the head... The injectors dont even touch the head...
That totally came out of left field.. I dont know why people do that
Im 98% sure Replacing the o-rings will resolve your problem.
The other 2% says it may be a cracked line going to the pressure regulator of a pressure regulator seal.. Which is minor also.

Id do the o-rings and go from there, that should solve your problem.

Last edited by MattyXXL; 06-04-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Default success!

i've done many different automotive related tasks over the years starting way back when on an old austin healey sprite,lots of triumphs and more than a few porsches but i never replaced or re-ringed a fuel injector in my life! i finally raised the hood on this volvo and plowed into it...thanks to your collective information and pictues, i managed to easily perform the needed o ring replacement on only one leaking injector. no surprises except when i put it all back together, the leak was gone...completely dry and no more fuel leak....and now i have a whole extra kit in the glove box, which i'll probably never need! thanks for your help.....

Old 06-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Awesome glad we could help...
And now you know what to look for if it happens again..
Enjoy your 850..

Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM

I found these forums very helpful, now I have a Volvo 850 94, and I can't seen to find the same hookups are as shown here on these series of photos (for the Volvo 96), and I wonder if someone can help me find the right instructions.

My questions are these;

I removed the top of the fuel rail...now I just have a problem with an injector leaking, and I want to change the rings on it, but when I move the fuel rail a little bit up, it comes detached, and I wonder if the top part is broken?, or is this the place where I can put the type of plastic cap that came with the NAPA kit, with the rings, go..?

I also need help with how to detach the fuel lines, on the left side of the fuel rail, as I can seen to find the place, shown on this Volvo 96, but in my Volvo 94, they seem to be behind the engine, and I was wondering if maybe I am out of luck on doing this myself?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 PM

For the disconnect on that type of fuel rail there is a nut that bolts a bracket to the rail. The bolt is under the fuel line and the bracket sits between the fuel line and rail itself. This will come loose and fall down if your not careful, slide this bracket down and remove and then the line pops out of the fuel rail, careful as there is an o-ring in there that is easy to pop off. The top line is just a normal clamp, loosen it and pull the hose off. Also make sure that the fuel pressure regulator doesnt loose the vaccum line behind the intake when pulling it off. I usually take it off, and tuck it out of the way first.

For what its worth, my car has this setup and I never take that off, I just push it out of the way.

Here is the exact way to get them out.

SKIP TO 1:42 for fuel rail removal.
http://bit.ly/1dCfn6W

Last edited by d33dvb; 12-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.