Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'96 850 NA, multiple problems turning into nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrispy_T
I decided to look at the fuel rail for your car and found that it has a regulator that bolts to the bottom of the rail like the rest of the 850/s70 cars. Obviously it's not there so if it were me, I'd pull the rail off and see if someone has blocked it off or rigged a rail from an s70 to it. There are some rails with only a dampener in them. Get some pictures or video of it as well.
One more thing, that rail looks exactly like mine. An the one I took off a 95 at the junkyard looks just like it too. The only diff is the fuel pressure reg that I can visibly tell myself. Which rail is this one exactly?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is not a fuel pressure regulator in the picture above. It's a pulsation dampener.

And "exactly like" means exactly that, it's the same.
If your round silver thing is an FPR it's different than the picture.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 AM

I think Kiss4aFrog is right. Sounds to me like someone decided to swap the engine. If you go behind the back seat, there is an access panel for the fuel pump under the carpet. Open the panel and see if the pump has two metal tubes on it. If so then there should be a second line from the motor, which there obviously isn't, so you need to get the right fuel rail and re-run the line. You also said there was a second line under the rear so I'm set hard on the idea that someone used the wrong rail and tried to get creative. With no regulator, the car is trying to run on the fuel pumps maximum pressure and it is trying to run with way too much fuel. I recall you testing the fuel pressure to be 95psi. That's double what it should be. Even if the car could set itself to run with that much pressure, chances are, it wouldn't run well at all. The dwell on the injectors at idle would be set so short that they wouldn't even be able to react to the signal.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The dwell on the injectors at idle would be set so short that they wouldn't even be able to react to the signal.
That is my guess. If the pressure in the rail is above 60 or 70 or 90 the computer can't cut the "on" time back far enough to keep from flooding the engine with fuel.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
That is my guess. If the pressure in the rail is above 60 or 70 or 90 the computer can't cut the "on" time back far enough to keep from flooding the engine with fuel.
What I don't get is how the car ran for at least a year set up that way, idk how long she ran it b4 it overheated but im guessing the person she bought the car from did the motor swap. Surely it had to be her x that cut off the filter an stuff cuz nobody in there right mind would run a car without one.It almost seems to me like it would be easier to find another fuel pressure reg that is for under the car, an maybe that damper is still good? If not ill have to go to the junkyard an try an steal the lines off of the 95. I already have the other fuel rail, injectors an fpr off of it so all that's left is that return line.. what's going to suck is I don't have a garage or way to get the car in one an its been 20 degrees outside. I think if I can jack the car up high enough an put blocks under it I could run the lines fairly fast. I really need a lift if I want to do it right. It was so hard with just a floor jack under one side to put on the filter..ill keep diggin around an see if I can find a diagram of the 97 to see how much of it they did do.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, sad to say, I checked about 10 cars at the junk yard yesterday and all of them had 2 fuel lines running to the rail.

I'll keep checking and let you know if I find one that only has 1 line.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Lift the car onto four stands with the tires a couple inches off the ground so you have lots of room. Then you can run the lines from any 850 model. The damper shouldn't be there, a regulator should. You can also drape sheets around half the car to the ground and fire up a small space heater to help with the cold. That's what I do and it works so well.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Man, sad to say, I checked about 10 cars at the junk yard yesterday and all of them had 2 fuel lines running to the rail.

I'll keep checking and let you know if I find one that only has 1 line.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I only found 3 cars period at all the junkyards around me. They all had 2 lines as well. Its so hard to find a volvo where i live that's not for sale. I looked for about an hr online last trying to find a pdf of a volvo that did have one line an I couldn't even find that lol.. sucks!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Lift the car onto four stands with the tires a couple inches off the ground so you have lots of room. Then you can run the lines from any 850 model. The damper shouldn't be there, a regulator should. You can also drape sheets around half the car to the ground and fire up a small space heater to help with the cold. That's what I do and it works so well.

That's what I was thinkin about. Wont help me at the junkyard at all but if I can find a long enough extension cord ill def try the space heater Idea. Great suggestion.. I def gotta keep warm somehow. Wish I could get the car to start long enough to run it on ramps at least so I only have to block up half the car

Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 PM

70 series glt cars only have one line to the rail. I've yet to find one that says otherwise. We've already deduced that it's a 2.4l NOT a 2.3l so it would make sense. Look at this V70 GLT here. There's only one fuel line and a dampener. No return line or regulator.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 PM

70 series glt cars only have one line to the rail. I've yet to find one that says otherwise. We've already deduced that it's a 2.4l NOT a 2.3l so it would make sense. Look at this V70 GLT here.
There's only one fuel line and a dampener. No return line or regulator.
Ok, so my question (dumb or not) can I just biy a new damper an be done with it then? I wanted to get a used one if possible cuz I'd rather pay 10 bucks to see if it works then 130.. if u have any good sites where I can find one cheap please let me know.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 PM

I just found one for a 99 s70 that is 42 bucks via the website that was posted on the first page of this thread. Wont that one work? I can't get a picture but I'm guessing it would be the same as the one you posted the pic of. I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions but I like to make sure I'm understanding what is being said. If so I will order it tmrw an can may e have this thing running next week.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM

It will not work. You absolutely have to change the fuel rail. You can get just the rail for under $20 at a pull-it-yourself lot and get the return line as well for cheap. The dampener does not lower the fuel pressure. It absorbs the shock of the pump to keep an even pressure. The pressure is too high and MUST be regulated. There's no other way around it.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

70 series glt cars only have one line to the rail. I've yet to find one that says otherwise.
Hold on, our S70 GLT has 2 fuel lines going to the rail.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Ok, I already pulled the fuel rail off of that 95 with all the other parts I took a few weeks ago. So i really . Only need the return line an i should be set. I want to be certain this is all i am going to need b4 i try to plan another trip to the junkyard. I also had the car lifted off the ground an stacked tires under it the last time I went so i could see how the lines ran and if there was anything I didnt have. As soon as I can get back there b4 they close with my job I will go try an pull the lines. Ill have to do some research as to how long it will take an what tools ill need to bring. If I remember correctly it shouldn't be hard taking apart other then the freezing temps. Thank all of you for your input an help. I have learned so much in the last month or so about volvos. Now I just need to get the car running again. If I can get a def answer today then I will try to go tmrw an get it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Wow, and I thought mine was giving me issues. Man was I wrong. Hope you fix everything man.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

If it's any easier, you could run that return line from stock material rather than taking it out of the junkyard. Some straight steel tubing under the car would be safer and easier to support than using rubber fuel ilne the whole way, but rubber fuel line would certainly carry the fuel back. I think the junkyard will be cheaper, but it's a cheap solution either way.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 12-20-2013 at 08:07 AM.