Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850 turbo starter installation help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 850 turbo starter installation help

I have a 96 Volvo 850 turbo and I am trying to replace the starter but im having a bit of trouble. when I went to take the torx and hex screws off the fan they weren't there just some nuts. what I know so far is to remove the screws and electric connectors from the fan shroud remove the 2 fan screws and at least loosen the 2 bottoms ones and slide it up and out. then remove the bracket bolt on the left of the starter and the wire under it. then remove the 2 bolts on the right side but the bottom bolt is practically hidden under a thick hose and some others. do I just try to move these and fit the wrench under them? then I remove the nuts on the solenoid with the wires connected to them. then the reverse for installation. if anyone can give me some tips or step by step instructions with pictures or even a video it would be greatly appreciated. also the car is an automatic and in between the electric connectors on the top of the fan theres is a thick hose that connects to 2 other points. do I remove this from all points or from one? please respond asap. also if u can tell me what tools I will need to the entire job because I have to borrow tools

Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Let me see if I can simplify it.

Once you get the fan shroud out, which is really just the bolts at the top and the relays. You can leave everything plugged in(except the fan) if you like and swing the harness out of the way.

The starter is two bolts holding it to the bell housing and one at the rear going to the block. That it and it falls out.

The electrical connections are the single 13mm bolt holding the power line to it and the single trigger wire.

With the shroud out of the way it should give you good access to the starter.

I have done it with the shroud in, possible but not recommended.

So, disconnect your battery and go for it.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM

ok sounds easy enough. like I said tho at the top of the fan shroud inbetween the electric connections there is a big thick hose. do I leave that connected and just swing it out of the way or do I disconnect it at the fan shroud point or anywhere else?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, duh, yes, the intercooler hose needs to come off too.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM

do I just pull the intercooler hose off from the fan point? do I need to loosen a clamp hose or anything before I do it? also another problem I had with the car before the starter died was the car was making a whirring noise around the steering pump/alternator area. it happened one day out of the clear blue. ive never had a problem with the steering or any leaks or anything of the sort but one day the lights on the dashboard started to dim and the rpm needle went a little crazy while driving the radio would get louder and lower on its own so we pulled over in a parking lot shut the car for 5 min turned it on again and it went back to normal. any input? lol also the odometer stopped working and in heavy rain the sun/moonroof leaks . any reason for this and any remedies?

Last edited by burberry; 03-11-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by burberry
do I just pull the intercooler hose off from the fan point? do I need to loosen a clamp hose or anything before I do it?
Not to be sarcastic here but did you really just ask that question? Thats like 'here is a bottled soda' and you say 'do I need to take off the cap to get the soda out?' Of course you need to loosen the hose clamp to get the hose off.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM

stupid question gets a stupid answer lol. I only asked that because I know that once you loosen some clamps they cant be retightened you have to go buy a new one and I was just making sure this was not the case. I will hopefully try to get the starter done this week or weekend with weather permitting. thanks for the help ill let u kno how it goes

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok then,,, Most of the clamps on the coolant and intercooler hoses are a standard style, reuseable clamp. I think there are a couple at the IAC (idle air control motor) that are the "Oetiker" style where they are tightened once and usually need to be cut off. They can be replaced with anything you want to use. If you've done CV boots you've run into the Oetiker style clamps as they are used in that application almost exclusively.

On higher performance engines like turbos or supercharged where you go through the trouble and expense of using silicone hose or if you just want to add some "detail" I'd recommend spending the extra $$ and going with the "T" bolt style or for the smaller hoses fuel injector clamps. Both are re-useable and by their design they provide for a better 360 degree seal without doing damage to the hose.

Attached Thumbnails 96 850 turbo starter installation help-clamp-stainless-steel.jpg   96 850 turbo starter installation help-clamp-oetiker.jpg   96 850 turbo starter installation help-clamp-t-bolt.jpg   96 850 turbo starter installation help-clamps-fuel-injection.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-12-2013 at 02:59 PM.