Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'96 850 Wagon, Can't Open Rear Hatch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 850 Wagon, Can't Open Rear Hatch...

For some reason, I can't open the rear hatch on my 1996 850 Turbo Wagon... I have tried the key, no luck. I've tried the switch on the dash to possibly unlock the back door, still no luck. It clicks when I use the switch, and when I use a key in the rear door, but it doesn't open... I know it's probably something simple.

This is my first Volvo. I bought it used, and I'm still learning how to get around and use all the new switches, bells and whistles. But, I'm stumped on this one.

Please advise...

Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you do a search? The wagon's also have an interior latch, did you try that one? You'll have to crawl through the car of corse.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM

the rod that connects to you lock has fallen off

Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Can someone tell me how to take the rear hatch apart to get at the parts in there. I already broke the top center piece.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Taking it apart without being able to open the door will be very hard and you will break clips. Do you have a wrecker that you could go study the door and mechanism?

The door is really held in place by the trim around the inside release lever. Everywhere else has clips to keep the panel in place. The trim around the lever clips in and I use a panel popper to get mine off, its two pieces and tricky to take apart. The actual lever stays. Once that is out you could possibly pull the top clips, you should be pulling from the back to the front of the car. The bottom clips unfortunately snap in from the bottom to the top of the car so those will be very difficult to take off with the door closed. Hope that makes sense, the top clips snap in horizontally, the bottom vertically. With the top removed I would think you could maneuver the panel far enough out to get a good view of the mechanism.

Just a side note, when I bought my first wagon I had to add an aftermarket door actuator to the existing locking mechanism to help lock and unlock that back door. The factory solenoid just did not have enough umph to do it. I didnt replace, I added it to it.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Did you do a search? The wagon's also have an interior latch, did you try that one? You'll have to crawl through the car of corse.
Yep, did that... It opens from the inside, just not on the outside.

Originally Posted by hookuspookus
the rod that connects to you lock has fallen off
I saw that... The rod is actually broken. I was pulling on the back door panel from inside the car, and pulled it far enough to break some clips, but I was able to pull out this rod that looked broken at the end that attaches to the mechanism...

Originally Posted by rspi
Can someone tell me how to take the rear hatch apart to get at the parts in there. I already broke the top center piece.
Me Too!!! HAHAHA. I think we'll get an answer below...

Originally Posted by boxpin
Taking it apart without being able to open the door will be very hard and you will break clips. Do you have a wrecker that you could go study the door and mechanism?

The door is really held in place by the trim around the inside release lever. Everywhere else has clips to keep the panel in place. The trim around the lever clips in and I use a panel popper to get mine off, its two pieces and tricky to take apart. The actual lever stays. Once that is out you could possibly pull the top clips, you should be pulling from the back to the front of the car. The bottom clips unfortunately snap in from the bottom to the top of the car so those will be very difficult to take off with the door closed. Hope that makes sense, the top clips snap in horizontally, the bottom vertically. With the top removed I would think you could maneuver the panel far enough out to get a good view of the mechanism.

Just a side note, when I bought my first wagon I had to add an aftermarket door actuator to the existing locking mechanism to help lock and unlock that back door. The factory solenoid just did not have enough umph to do it. I didnt replace, I added it to it.
Thanks, and I will be needing these tips to dismantle the back panel to replace that broken rod... Wish me luck!!!