Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ABS problems- I hate the dealerships!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problems- I hate the dealerships!!!

Hey- I love my volvo but hate the dealerships. I'm sure I'm not alone.
It started when I went to get my parents car certified to transfer into my name- they told me it would be $4200 to certify it. Including $2000 for the abs light. They said it was the abs control unit.
I've fixed all the problems, most of which they said- didn't actually exist. The car runs great, and I love it.
But the ABS doesn't work, and I just replaced the ABS control unit, and the problem still exists.
At first, the light was on occasionally, and the abs worked when it wasn't on.
After a while, it stuck on and it didn't work. SO i bought another unit (and had it checked), and replaced it.
But it's still not working. According to the volvo dealership (who charged me over $200 to tell me it was the control unit, and it would cost close to $2000 to fix), so I did that.
But it still doesn't work.
SUggestions? I'd really like to get it fixed before the winter! I'm in Toronto Canada and we get a lot of snow!
Thanks in advance!
James

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check all of the connections where the ABS connects to the wheels. My front passenger connection is loose and when I go over bumps the light would come on because for a brief second the connection would be lost, but then after I would restart the car the light would be off. Since I haven't had time to fix the plug the light stays on because it's came completely unplugged.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What were the codes that were pulled?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like tech said, find out what codes came up in the ABS system. Also, did you get a used module or a new/ reman one? if it's used, and your car is a 96 or newer, go get a reman or new module- the modules on the 96 and newer cars are the pits, and used ones are likely to be bad, too. The other thing to try is this: take off your rear wheels and rotors, and use brake parts cleaner and a small brush to clean off the toothed ring (called a toner ring) on the hubs that the ABS sensor uses to determine wheel speed. Those often get plugged up with debris and brake dust, making it hard for the sensor to get an accurate reading. Do the same on the front wheels, but you don't need to pull the rotors to access the toner ring, as it's attached to the outside of the outer CV joint. Check wiring connections to all 4 sensors. And tell us what codes are there... we can probably help you

Old 12-05-2009, 03:01 PM

My brake pedal position sensor needed re soldering. It is located on the brake booster. Simple fix. If you read your codes and get 1-4-1 or 1-4-2 thats where I would look.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Just like arzy, mine was the brake pedal position sensor. The ABS TRACS light would be intermittent like you say yours is. Quick solder fix and the old sensor was repaired.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Banned
Default ABS problems I hate the dealerships

does the ABS light turn itself off when the sensor is good or is it a trip to the dealer?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Hey- thanks for all the help so far. I can't actually get codes for the abs. I have friend who's scanned it with his laptop and has the same car, and my mechanic friend who has two scan tools but can't get into the abs area (or whatever).
So I know it doesn't work at all now, replaced the abs control unit, and the light is on.
Like I said the dealership said it was the abs control unit (re-man unit) and haven't had a chance to check the other suggestions yet, but wanted to write back on this post.
Again, thanks for all your help. I love my car but with snow now would also like the abs!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 AM

I can read the ABS codes using the diagnosic connector on my car.

http://volvospeed.com/CheckEngine.php

John

Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Instructions for pulling the codes here:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...ionControl.pdf