Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

another stalling 1994 850 non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another stalling 1994 850 non turbo

Greetings all,

The problem only happens when the car is warmed up. The car has 340K miles so it's had lots of use, but is also well cared for. So far, the problem has happened when the car is over 45 mph and is fully warm. The car will lose power and finally stall. After a few minutes it will restart and all is well until next time. Out of principle, I've given the car new plugs, rotor and cap. wires seem fine as does the coil. I have not personally experienced the problem, it always happens when the sig other has the car. On the advise of a friend who wrenches these things, I also replaced the cam and crank sensor. He said these were common failure items at this mileage. I'm going to try to drive the car exclusively to see if I can determine whether spark or fuel is at fault, I hate to keep throwing parts at it.

My next parts swap is going to be fuel relay followed by fuel pump. I've read most of the posts that I could find but didn't see anything definitive. My question is, are there really that many problems that could cause this stalling? Interestingly, the cpu does not show any codes.

Best,
Jack

Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacktoz
My next parts swap is going to be fuel relay followed by fuel pump. I've read most of the posts that I could find but didn't see anything definitive. My question is, are there really that many problems that could cause this stalling? Interestingly, the cpu does not show any codes.
Your symptoms tell me you're on the right track; either fuel pump relay or fuel pump.

Ck out this thread and take a look at your fuel pump relay for signs of broken solder joints.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?p=32573

To verify it's the fuel pump, take off the access panel to get to it; leave a light hammer nearby in the car. Then drive around and next time it konks out, tap on the top of the fuel pump cover with the hammer. If it then starts right up and runs (even briefly) then you found the problem...

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it was the fuel pump relay

To gdog, thanks for the info. The fuel pump relay pops apart very easily and the pcb showed excessive heat stress and there were at least three questionable solder joints. Since the car has 335K miles, I figure replacing it was in order.

Interestingly, the two local big parts suppliers both show a very different relay for this car, it has a four pin base and is rectangular rather than square. (not autozone type places, real suppliers.) I ended up at partsgeeks from whom I've always gotten great service. I mention this as there is clearly a miscataloging in some of the OEM books. If your parts supplier needs to order one, ask to see a picture before ordering.

Best,
Jack

Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal! Thanks for the feedback; hopefully this thread will help someone else down the road...