Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Arrow light SOlid ON

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrow light SOlid ON

Hi,
I am planning to buy a 94 850 for my wife but the one i m looking at has SOLID arrow light ON and no lights on mode switch (orange/green). The car drives perfect and not like in winter mode. The winter mode switch do nothing. I went there y'day thinking about pulling the codes and all i see is solid ON led when i connect jumper to A1. I checked codes on A2 and A3 and all was good there (1-1-1). But this activity turned the ABS light ON and I feel obligated to get it fixed. Can someone help me with this ASAP or otherwise I WILL HAVE TO buy this car.

Its very clean in terms of body and mechanical condition as well as drivability. A/C doesnt work.
Well, To keep it short for now, I NEED HELP!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Arrow light SOlid ON

You should be able to read and clear the ABS codes from Port A-3. Read all of the codes first. Press and hold the button for 5 seconds, wait 3 seconds for theLED to come back on, then press and hold the button for another 5 seconds.

...Lee

Old 08-26-2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks Lee....
I checked A3 and it was 1-1-1 on it which i assume is no error codes.
Can you put your opinion on LED solid ON in A1. All I want to know for now is that can it be something serious with transmission orI will be able to fix it by replacing PNP switch or mode selection switch etc..at later time if I buy the car?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it seems to shift OK it sounds like more of a communication problem with the transmission control modulesince you cannot interrogate it. If you have the radio code I think I would try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then see if you can read the codes after the battery is hooked back up.

All I want to know for now is that can it be something serious with transmission orI will be able to fix it by replacing PNP switch or mode selection switch etc..at later time if I buy the car?
It could be simple or it could be serious but it clearly is notcorrect - without the codes it is tough to say. If I were in your position the price Iwould be willing to pay for the car would be based on an assumption that I would need to replace the transmission with a used one.

...Lee

Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 PM

The price I will be paying for this is going to be about 2000$ with a note that car is in fairly clean condition. I will check with the owner if he have the radio code then i will do the battery removal process.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Bestharry,

You say that your Arrow light is on and youre sure that the car is in drive and not second?

I know that if Im not careful/in a hurry sometimes I will grab the stick and just pull it into gear and only after I get going do I notice that Im in second, arrow on the dash. I just bump it back to drive and all is well.

Have you tried the fixes from here?
http://volvospeed.com/maintence.htm

I was able to clear the lambda light from and all but a couple of abs codes, I need to replace a front left wheel sensor, in no time flat.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Couple guesses here but;

Most likely PNP Switch issue

Turning on TRACS if it has it might have turned on the ABS light if the computer did not know what gear it was in.

Also, Look around the net for how to set "data rate", I have had similar issue with the wifes car (Solid LED), when I get a chance I am going to be sure it is in "SLOW". I have sneaking suspicion that you can set it into higher setting with a mistake in the clearing codes sequence. If it is in the higher rate the flashing may be so fast it appears as SOLID to the LED.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM

Greetings to QuickBrick and 1996850Torbo,
I went there and have finalised the deal for $2000. The ABS light was gone andI tried to pull codes from A2,A3,A4,A6 AND A7. The LED was still solid ON in A1. Wonder if the data rate you mentioned is specific to each hole becauseI could see some fault codes on A6 and A7 (which I couldnt write or remember as the owner was getting worried) but they got cleared.

The car drives gr8 with just that arrowlight solid ON but i made double sure that transmission is shifting right from first gear to overdrive. I tested it upto 120Km/Hr. The RPMs were around 2500 at that apeed and so, i m assuming the overdrive is getting engaged.
Any further information will be highly apreciated. I will be getting this car home by thursday.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Hello Bestharry,

I just got in and was looking around and found this

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Volvo-802/Reset-arrow-indicator-94.htm

If you dont already have this, then here you go.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/1994/1994_850/94850_1.html

This is one of many places the is good for info.

http://volvospeed.com/maintence.htm

This is just for the information. I have been looking for everything Volvo for the past couple of years and have found some really interesting stuff.

http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?engspecs.html

And if you need a repair manual for the 850, there is a download available here. In the first post there is a link to the zip file. just save it to your desk top as repair manual just so long as you can find it. Open it in the same folde and click on the Volvo 850, not the MACOSX, and there you go.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/lofiversion/index.php/t64678.html

Just lending a hand.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi Quick Brick,
I sincerely appreciate your hand. My problem as of now is that as soon as I connect the jumper to A1, The LED comes on solid with ignition ON and the pushes on the button do nothing. I tried short pushes as well as long pushes. Just to add thatI am familiar with the process of reading and removing codes and was able to successfully do that for A2, A3, A6 and A7. I will go through the links and check if I can find something interesting. Thanks again

Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Im still looking for something more directly related to your problem, but have had no luck yet [].

Im sure that somewhere in the info I passed on is something for setting the RATE OF FLASH and this may be of more help.

If I come across it Ill link it here.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]