Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Original Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Engine??

Greetings volvo forum members! I come to you under somewhat dire circumstances with a story sure to enrage you all. Back in February I left for Marine training and left my beloved1995 Volvo 850turbo sedan behind in the care of my younger brother. Months pass and, of corse, while I'm gone he drives the nuts off of it.Ever since I got it the engine had drank a little oil and I had always just thrown in a half quart or so when it got low to compensate. My brothernever added oil and sothe engine blew up. Valvetrain shot,beutiful aluminum head has beenwarped, etc. So, before Ieven got home, my perents took it into a shop to get a new T5 turbo engine put into it. The engine was swapped and my mom drove it away, with no fluids in it. The morons at the shop didn't put any luquid in it at all. No oil, no coolant, no nothing. The engine smoked, my step-dad noticed, and putfluids in it but by then it was way too late. Engine number twopromptly exploded.The swap was still under its 90 day warrenty from the shop andso it was their responsibility to make it right. Weeks pass and I go back for the car which they claim is finished. Once again, they where about to letthe car drive off with no oil. Rediculous. Ihave a very strong suspition that they took the origional engine,bored it out and tried to rebuild it.The day I got it back it drank its entire tank of coolant, every drop, and no visible leak on the outside. Completely unacceptible.I'm trying to find out if there is a way tosee if the engine in my Volvo is the original by using the VIN and engine serial number. Is there any way to for sure know that these ****ers have tried to pull the wool over our eyes and put the origional wrecked engine back in the car? Please help me guys, I really want to nail these bastards and have some hard evidence to back it up.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Original Engine??

I'm sure that there is a listing somewhere that match motors to cars but my dealer was of no help when I tried to find out what year the motor in my son's car was. When I went toservice his PCV I bought the kit based on the year of the car ('96) and what he really needed was a kit made for '95 or earlier. You might be able to get information from:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/footer/c...s/default.aspx

...Lee

Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Original Engine??

Most of the engines aren't matched with the cars Vin#. But there is an engine serial number stamped into them. But you would need to know what your original one was to know.