Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Autotransmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Autotransmission problem

Hi
It's has been a while I posted. I have problem with auto transmission ( blinking arrow). I flushed trans fluid it was ok for a couple of minutes, blinking arrow showed up again.
I read the problem could be the solenoids. I connected OBD , it only showed up speed sensor ( VSS ) P0500 code.
I changed it but it continues the same issue and also when I try to reverse the car, shift does not engage smothly or some time not.other gear same thing.
Do you have to change all solenoids?
Thanks in advance

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Take it to Volvo and have them read the fault codes...The generic readers do not work very well with our cars.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What year car ??

Old 08-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Sorry for the late answer. I was looking for info about the transmission.
This car is year 96 non turbo. I am confused because I read that if the transm fluid is brown and has some burned smell maybe is dead.
When I check fluid with dipstik it looks red but when I removed the plug and got some fluid it was like brown. Still I have not taken the car to the dealer because it gonna cost me more so if I dont have any other options I will. Meanwhile I continue waiting for more ideas.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The shift solenoids, S1 and S2 can be replaced individually. Usually one will fail and only the one is replaced.

Besides flushing the fluid, what else have you done to try and fix the flashing up arrow, poor or no shift engagement ??

There is also a chance it's not the transmission but from your description I think it is. I'd still check out threads on the ABS module. The ABS module failure or malfunction can also cause the transmission to go into limp mode

Have you searched any of these for possible cures ??

https://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or....shing+up+arrow

Attached Thumbnails Autotransmission problem-transmission-sidecover-off.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Thank you guys for all your advices, they are very helpfull. I gonna try all of them to see what happens. Then I will let you know what the results were, as soon as I can.
Thanks a lot.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Hello guys after getting a lot of info about tranny I realized it was not worthy to fix/ change the solenoids. A mechanic friend checked them and told me that the problem was in the packaging clutch for sure because after the engine warmed up started slipping.
So we decided to get rid of it and not spend more money ,time and work on it.
I have to say it was a great car it did not give me major problem till the end.
We wanted to get another Volvo but a good opportunity showed up with another maker. Anyway I thank you for all your advices, help, experiences you shared with me. It was fun and I learned a lot. It was a pleasure to be part of this great forums . Again thank you and good luck.