Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

blown engine

Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engine

I am crushed. The shop called today to tell me that the engine in my '96 850 turbo is blown. Why did this happen. I have owned it for a year. Kept up on all maintenance, as did previous owner. 150,000 miles young.
Now here is my real question. Do I junk it or do something about it. I really like this car, but can't afford to be stupid. Someone please talk me off the ledge.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: blown engine

Hey now Maine850,

STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE [sm=shades.gif]

What caused the failure?

It depends, not the diaper but the prices might make you crap, on how much you love the car and what you willing to put into it.

A brand new (OEM VOLVO) engine will cost you around $9000 (I was quoted $8800CDN when my water pump bearing failed) and that's just the block and head. you'll have to transfer everything else (intake, exhaust manifold and on and on)over from the old one to the new one.

A low milage used engine is the way that I went at $1750CDN, as I have a J.O.B.(just over broke), and after all was said and done was around $4000CDN.

I know that this is a lot, and I'm still feeling the pinch [:@], but The Anvil now drives right and I got a warranty of 20k kilometers as the shop replaced the timing belt, water pump and all associated with the timing and cooling.

I know that this is still a lot but the shop is letting me pay this down as I have given them a serious amount of money over the past three years and I appreciate this very much .

If you are capable of doing the work a used engine is the way to go as you already know what kind of shape the car is in and if the engine is the only issue then it is a price that you might be able to handle. If all you need is an engine shop around.

My engine failed just before the first snow fall last year and I was left between a rock and a snowbank and didn't have much of a choice as I needed my car.

Getting a "new to you car" may only bring you a new set of problems as used cars always need something andit's history may be in doubt and this could cost you evenmore in the end.

Have the shop check around for you or check online as there are many more engines available in the US than there are here in Canada. Took a while to get mine[].

It's not the end unless you don't think you car is worth saving.

Take your time and I'm sure that you'll find something.

There is always hope.[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]Keep us updated.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elaborate a little bit on what went wrong. If an oil line broke and you ran it out of oil then it is indeed toast but if the timing belt broke you can re-work the head and replace the bent valves for much less than a new motor.

...Lee

Old 05-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would definitely ask for more info from the mechanic on what is exactly wrong with it. As posted above, once you know what is wrong with it and the cost of the repair, you can make a better decision on what to do next.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is about 10 engine assemblies that run between $1,100 and $1,300.

http://www.urgpartsearch.com/link/se...estTimeout=500

Quick Brick gave some exclellent advice.

What you need to ask yourself is whether you can buy a car better than this one for about the same amount of money it would take to fix it? I sould estimate around $2,500 to $3,000 to replace the engine. It's very hard to get a decent car for that price. But you also have to consider what you can get out of your car with the blow engine? You might want to call around and ask what somebody (junkyard or Volvo repair shop) would be willing to give you for the car.

About two years ago I got $800 for a 94 850 Turbo with a blown engine. In hindsight I really wish I had replaced the engine instead of selling the car. The shop wanted $3,000 to replace the engine. I figure my son in law and I could have done it for around $2,200.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I have had only one conversation with the desk guy at the shop. I was a little too upset to come up with many questions, but will go in first of the week to see the patient in person. He said that it looked like the oil was grimy and black. It had been less than 2k since last change, so this didn't really make sense. He did not say what the level was, so I don't know if it had a sudden leak. It was not the timing belt.
I am very mechanically inclined, but have never replaced an engine. Is this something I could take on?? Will my wife divorce me??

Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're mechanically inclined, the procedure should be within your capability. However, you need to have certain equipment & tools and do your homework before ripping things apart.

If you decide to have a shop do it for you, make sure to let them show you the parts they remove.

Your wife would divorce you only if you screw up on the engine.

JPN