Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Engine blown, replaced, now transmission gone.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine blown, replaced, now transmission gone.

Has not been a good summer for my 2001 XC70. ( 81,000 mi) Blew an engine,( belt skipped a tooth, big hole in # 3 cylinder), hadit replaced with a used engine at a very good Volvo shop, When taking it for a run to check it out the new engine, after it got warm the transmission completely failed. Runs fine when cold but when warm it looses forward and reverse!

The whole story....
I was on a summer family vacation about 500 miles from home, slowed for the kids to look at a Ram while on a steep hill. Car running perfect until accelerated away quite hard but it would not pull strongly. Looked in mirror, saw a lot of blue smoke, swore, then pulled over and opened hood. Small fire which I put out with some water and coke. No cell coverage, asked some people who pulled over to call a tow truck. 3 hours later one came, a flatdeck and took us to the town of Chase, BC. Dropped at Ford dealership. It ran very roughly, Compression check showed 0 psi compression in cylinder # 3 and a ton of blow by, which probably caused the fire by shooting out oil onto something hot. I eventually contacted insurance company (ICBC) and they sent a guy to look at it and then told me they would tow to it back to Vancouver to look at it.
Eventually this happened, and it sat at Surrey Volvo for ever meanwhile I was renting a car. I eventually got annoyed enough and trailered it myself to the company where I have always had good Volvo service. Within a week they had a new (actually used but low mile) engine in and running. However when giving it a test drive, the transmission had a chance to warm up a bit ,it just stopped, no rev, no forward, nothing. Other than the obvious, (when it was towed back it was damaged by not having driveshaft removed or on a flat deck) anyone have any idea's?
Insurance company says they won't cover it and have asked the tow company and the tow company said it was on a flatdeck. May or may not be true but hard to prove either way, why would the tow companyadmit it even if this was thecase.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Engine blown, replaced, now transmission gone.

It is hard to say. These trannys will also just go out like that as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

WOW, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you can get it all back in running order again soon

Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. That's tough.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would software have a say in the tranny giving out?? being a Volvo shop i doubt that they would have all the correct software...i would imagine that installing a new engine would involve
lots of software to loaded into the tcm & ecu to tie them together???

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

No software would not have helped at all.
No software needed for engine replacement.