Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

blue smoke sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue smoke sometimes

here is some history.....the car has about 200k on the engine. turbo boosts strong, has some oil residue in turbo hoses.the pcv sys. has never been cleaned as far as i know.about a month ago ihad my ecu upgraded, ( about 17psi boost )changed the oil to synthetic ( i think prior owner used reg. type oil ) and replaced my oil fill cap gasket. after doing this... a week or so ago it smokes sometimes. what it does is...when i first start, no smoke, drivea few miles and when i stop for a light for example it smokes, take off from the light no smoke, driving down the highway no smoke. it does it mainly when i stop or ifi accelerate hard on it... what do u guys think ( seals in turbo )pcv clogged, both ??? i dont wanna spend a ton of money guessing.. thanks for any help !!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: blue smoke sometimes

Hello Phil,

Greetings from Yokohama, Japan.

As for the smoke, where is it coming from? I assume it is coming from the tail pipe, but I'll list possibilities for 2 scenarios; 1-smoke from tail pipe 2-smoke from the engine compartment. Either way, blue smoke indicates burning engine oil, as you probably know it.

1-Smoke from the Tail Pipe:
Oil is entering the combustion chamber and is burning. Most likely the oil is passing through worn-out piston rings, or from valve guides/seals. If this is the case, the repair will be major therefore you may want to keep an eye on the oil level and keep adding, until you can repair the leak or buy another car.

2-Smoke from the Engine Compartment:
Oil is leaking from somewhere and dripping onto hot surfaces, most likely around the turbocharger/exhaust components. Minor leak under the turbocharger is normal, but if it's leaking from the return line, you can replace the gasket & seal ring. Also, check around the oil dipstick, sometimes the O-ring on the stick wears out and allow oil to leak from there. Oil cooler return line is another location where oil leaks often. In this case you may want to replace the hose, if the leak is from the seam between the flexible portion and the metal portion.

The pcv system would benefit by cleaning/replacing some components, and with its high mileage I believe it's worth servicing. Also, clean the engine and wait till leak reappears so you'll know exactly where it is leaking from.

I hope this help. If not, wait until others reply. Many people in the 850 section are extremely knowledgeable.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blue smoke sometimes

thank you for the reply JPN....i really dont think its the rings or valve seals, i truly think its the turbo seals. If it was the rings the car would smoke all the time and usually valve guides leaking the car will puff smoke when you start it up due to oil leaking by and sitting on the piston rings after the car is sitting. I was just hopeing someone could help me pin point the problem or had a turbo seal go bad and let me know what they think.... oh yeah.... its coming from the tailpipe