Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Bonehead Award of the Week!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bonehead Award of the Week!

Well i officially award this to myself haha

2 days ago when i was putting on my timing belt I was meticiously aligning the timing marks and setting up timing after the belt was put on. I spent quite amount of time in doing so especially since it was my first attempt at doing the timing on the volvo or for any car if it matters haha! well i spent maybe an hour setting it up and when i was finally confident that i had it alligned and countless hand revoloutions of the engine i finally pulled the pun on the tensioner and set it in place I did another couple revoloutions by hand and it was still OK then I turned the engine over with the starting motor to make see once i thought it was good..... well after that i looked at the crank pulley and it was at the mark but the cam gears were way off..... so i was so pissed at myselff(unsure of my confidence at this type of job) and i was thinking that i busted the valves up.... so I removed the tensioner and was going to set it up again, at this time very pissed......

after I removed the tensioner within literally 30 seconds i thought came across my mind that maybe the revoloutions if the crank pulley do not match the revoloutions of the cam gears.... oh well after i teinstalled it i confirmesd that theory watching 2 turns of thje crank pulley for one turn of the cams.....

aargh

what a bone head!!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bonehead Award of the Week!

Those marks are a pain to see. I can not see the marks on the crank for the life of me. I have to have my son in law do it. At least you didn't hurt anything. We bent three valves on mine when we didn't get it right.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:22 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. MikeySq,

I'm sorry about the painful experience. As someone said, at least you didn't damage anything.

I did mine in July. My upper belt cover was missing a part of it (the notch used to align the cam pulley mark), so I had to put extra mark. I used white-out (correction fluid) to enhance the marks, otherwise they are indeed difficult to see.

On the crank pulley gear, actually there is a larger mark, right next to the crank pulley, rather than the tiny mark Haynes manual mention (that useless paper).

By the way, did you pull the tensioner-holding pin after hand-revved the engine? If so, you had to remove it before moving anything, otherwise the belt may have slack and skip a tooth or two (or more). But you wrote you double checked it after removing the pin, so I wonder what caused the belt to miss teeth (maybe the crank pulley was moved accidentally and was not indicating TDC?).

In my case, the 2 worst parts of doing the timing belt were; removing the tensioner pulley held by a torx screw, putting the belt behind the crank pulley.

Regards,

JPN

Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I did pull the pin after but i had a bungee cord on the tensioner which kept off a bit of the slack in it. I hand turned it more than 20 times with pin pulled and still in so double checked it is an understatement

whetre I replaced my oil pump O Ring, gasket anmd crank seal I had the crank pulley, I don't know if i would even attempt the job in the future with out removing the crank pulley, it makes it so much easier, for what it takes to remove the crank nut, in my case a 30mm socket on an impact gun and a bit of heat it came off pretty easy.

Mike