Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

brakes and squeals

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes and squeals

okay I have banshee type brakes that puts finger nails on chalkboards to shame. I know other threads have talked about oem being the way to go but does anyone know why after market causes squealing brakes? My pads are pretty new however the rotors have some corrosion around the edges where the pads generally don't make contact. I'm assuming that corrosion creeping towads the pads is causing the sound. OEM is expensive here so would aftermarket rotors eventually squeal too? Or is it the pads that normallly contribute to squeally volvo brakes?

Cheers

Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In most , not all but most cases brake noise is caused by poor installation. I don't think you need OEM pads as Bendix, Wagner ... etc stay in business only as long as they make a product that works and works quietly. Yes there are "hard" pads out there that will make noise no matter how well you clean and lube everything you can but if you only replace the pads without turning or replacing the rotors the odds are they will squeak. Quality pads of some brand name with new properly cleaned rotors or your old rotors properly turned so the surfaces are clean and flat normally will yield excellent results. I do a lot of brake jobs and what I usually end up fixing for someone who just did "a complete brake job" is remove scale, clean and then lubricate the areas where the calipers slide on the mounts and where the pads slide in the calipers. Then there are the backyard guys who just slap pads in, no cleaning, no lube and don't bother to have the grooves machined out of their rotors or replace them. It's going to make noise. That's why you paid more for the twelve pack of beer than the whole brake job cost.
The twelve pack comment isn't aimed at you as much as my frustration with customers who want the cheapest job they can get when they are for the most part driving nice cars. That and the thought the ten or fifteen bucks they saved buying cheap pads may make the difference between stopping just before then hit someone or something and finally stopping on top of someone or plowed into something.
You may have some excessively worn calipers or something else going on but you might want to take the effort to go through it again to make sure nothing was missed before you buy new pads. I'd remove that ridge of rust as anything that doesn't let the pad run flat against the caliper is a safety issue and could also be the cause of noise or some slight pulsing in the pedal.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't really answer your quesiton as to why, but I use OEM pads and Brembo rotors. I don't find them to be much more expensive than any other better quality pads and rotors. I usually order them from fcpgroton, but in a pinch I just buy them at the dealer in which case I use OEM rotors also. I have tried other pads and took them off after less than 5K miles because of squealing. I would rather spend a little more than hear that sound.

$55 for OEM pads:
https://www.volvoparts.com/index.asp

Same thing fcpgroton for $65:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...category_id/52

Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JimKW
Those prices are great except the shipping to NZ makes them a tad more expensive

Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about that. Didn't notice your location. Pay my way and I will bring you a set. haha

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM

only if you help me rebuild an overheated motor on an 850 turbo wagon with 5spd manual that I want to buy. Auction currently at about $200usd. Here's hoping!