Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Can I make half shims out of whole shims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I make half shims out of whole shims?

Finished my sis's brakes and the rears are squealing. I only drove the car far enough to ensure they were working, so maybe it will go away after a few miles. Anyway, I did a search and got a lot of information about these half shims.

From what I understand it's like adjusting the brake pads on a bicycle to be toed-in at the front (slightly closer together at the front than the rear) so that when engaged they don't squeal like banshees.

The pads I put in had new shims, so I used the new shims...they did not have an adhesive backing to stick to the pads, but a rubbery surface. I put the rubbery surface against the pad itself, since the new shims on the new front pads were pre-attached and had the same black side facing the pistons. I hope this was correct.

Anyway, if the noise does not stop, can I just cut the shims in half and only install the front half of the the shim? The old pads that came out had full shims, not half, and were not making any noise.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can I make half shims out of whole shims?

What kind of pad did you use? The half shims work when you get like deep tone vibration from the rear. Almost sounds like a subwoofer in the back of the car, and it's only at low speed. My 97 is the only one where I had that noise, and the half shims cured the problem. Tech said I didn't need them on the 98 so I'm not sure what years need them. They are pretty cheap at the dealer. I don't think the half shims will fix squealing though. Iwould be surprised if you havesquealing with OEM pads.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Ah. It's not a low frequency noise at all....a high scream. I used NAPA Application Engineered pads (the most expensive ones). I've been using them for years on my Miata and my wife's Land Rover and I think they are excellent -- no noise, low dust, great bite and lifespan. The quality exceeds OEM on both the Miata and the Land Rover as far as I'm concerned. This may not be true for Volvo and this is the first time in four sets of AE pads that I have had noise problems.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put silicon grease on the pad backing and shims?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 PM

No. I've never had success of any kind eliminating squealing pads with anti-squeal compound/grease/goop. Does it actually make a difference on Volvos and not just a mess?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I used the NAPA pads once myself on one of my early Volvo's. Trashed them after 5,000 miles and put on OEM. I had used the NAPA pads on my other cars for years, but they squealed like crazy on the Volvo. Since that time, I have never used anything but OEM pads on my Volvo's. They don't squeal, the stop the car and they keep my wheels filthy, but that's the price I'm willing to pay. I hate brake squealing!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Well, that's the first thing I'm going to try then. I had a horrible experience getting rid of squealing brakes when I had a '73 Beetle I converted over to disc brakes in the front. I tried EVERYTHING -- with no success. The damn thing sounded like a city bus (as does sis's Volvo right now).

A different set of pads cleared it right up...

Will report back on the difference. I can't do anything about it until tomorrow, but right now she's afraid to drive the car it's so loud!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Update: fitted the new Volvo pads in back AND the half shims, at the reccomendation of the parts guy who, strangely enough, actually knew what he was talking about (and probably wanted me to spend another $20 but whatever)

Squeal is gone for now. Seems like it did the trick! OEM Volvo pads from now on!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it worked. I was pretty sure it would. Now you have to clean your wheels more often than you wash your car, or have dirty wheels.