Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Can a turbocharger cause excessive crankcase pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a turbocharger cause excessive crankcase pressure?

Since august i've mounted a V70R engine with approx. 80.000 miles because my old engine smoked blue.

After replacing the enigine the new engine also still smoked blue en still had execessive crankcase pressure.

Seemed that i replaced the engine for nothing. The garage give my a wrong advice cause the turbo had a shaft play around 1 cm and they didn't notice!!

Becuase of that i got myself a second hand TD04HL-15g from ebay. The turbo seemed not that bad but had too much shaft play also. I had to mount it though cause i need the car. After mounting the blue smoke disapparead directly, so the turbocharger was causing the blue moke.

I still had crankcase pressure after that though, cause it still was throwing oil through the dipstick.

I decided to replace the complete crankcase ventilation system and ordered it through fcp groton. Despite that i still had crankcase pressure . For about 1,5 month ago i decided to replace the intake turbing from the MAF to the turbo.

And what do you think, all the crankcase pressure had gone. No more oil through the dipstick, so ofcourse i was happy.

Even during dynojet meeting i didnt spoil a drip of oil! The powerband was also perfect and the performance great...232 WHP and 381 NM on the wheels. On the way back we were driving in a traffic jam for a long time and then i saw some blue smoke from the exhaust again. Yes, definitely the turbo again.

But previous week at sudden the engine throwed a LOT of oil through the dipstick again. I noticed myself that my turbo was making more and more noises lately and knew it gone from bad to worse again. Funny thing is that normally i drive at least once in two weeks at above 200 km/h in Germany, but lately i drove only quietly.

So my question is can my turbo cause excessive crankcase pressure?

When on idle the oil cap is sucked on the gap so thats a good sign, it seems that the PCV is fine and the engine itself also, otherwise it won't suck the cap i assume.

Only other thing i can come up with is that maybe my oil feed line has gone bad.

Oil consumption is about 0,5 litres in about 2000 miles.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

No, the turbo can't. not at least they way that you are thinking it may have. The reason your car is no longer shooting oil everywhere is because your PTC was clogged. Once you replaced the intake tube, which would have a new PTC on it, your issue would have gone away.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

I am not saying this is the problem but its worth having in the back of your mind

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...t=32465&page=5

Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another possibility: I have seen people replace the PCV system, but fail to clean out the holes where the oil trap attaches to the block, or where the tubing attaches to the intake hose. These can get completely clogged. (although FCPgroton suggests that a new intake hose includes the PTC, so that shouldn't be an issue) If you didn't clean the holes where the oil trap attaches, take the oil trap off, and use solvent and a thin bottle brush to clean the holes, particularly the lower one, which should go downward into the oil sump. If this isn't the problem, do a leak- down test and see if there's excessive blow- by.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 AM

When i cleaned the PCV system i cleaned all of the holes and they were clear.

Last weekend i mounted the rebuild turbocharger and it seems that the crankcase pressure is gone so far, but i'm not sure yet, cause i didnt drive too fast yet.

Another option i might think that can help me is changing the dipstick, the dipstick seal on the upside of the dipstick is hard as stone, so i think it doesn't seal the dipstick enough, so oil can get past it.

I replaced the intake tube by a second hand one, which was with the V70R engine i got. Cleaned it with brake cleaner and after that the pressure was gone. Cleaned it again this weekend and hope the pressure stays away, otherwise i'll buy myself a new dipstick and intake tubing.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM

I am having the same problem with my 94, 850 turbo (216k miles). Mine is blowing out the dipstick and oil fill port, while still sucking alot through the intake, and burning. I was changing the oil seperator every 3 months. Replacing the valve seals a couple years ago improved it for a short time (relacing seperator every 6 months). I had to replace the intake pipe from MAF to turbo because oil had deteriorated the rubber fitting for the PCV connection. It was so bad a one point It damaged the passenger side brake pad and CV boot, and fouled spark plugs. Is it possible that the oil pressure regulator can cause this?

Old 06-21-2015, 06:29 PM

Could someone please confirm or deny my theory of crankcase pressure? I have a 94 850 Turbo with 382k, rebuilt head, new tranny, new PCV, including sump. Good compression, good leakdown. Could my problem of oil in my intercooler be related by the compressed intake side of air blowing past the turbo seal, and into the path of least resistance, the oil return line? I have no idea if it is not that. Is it worth it to rebuild the turbo to check it out in your mind? I have no problem pulling the turbo and doing a rebuild but I dont want to spend the money because so many people have shot my theory down. Please if it cannot happen this way, can you explain why?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Its possible for a turbo seal leak to mess with the oil return but more common is blow by from worn rings or a head gasket issue. Can't hurt to put new seals in the turbo if it also has 300k+ on it... Is the compression consistent on all 5??

some interesting reading.

Common Turbocharger Problems

I haven't read more to do a myth busters on his comments...

Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 AM

First, thank you taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. I have good compression, 168, 172, 172, 172, 170, 170 and leakdown shows no exhaust valves / intake valves problems. Just did the headgasket, had problem before this headgasket was on. This is why it led me down the path of the turbo.

The only other thing I was thinking was if my exhaust cam timing was off, and only because the guys who initially started on my car, left midway through, and left me with a box of bolts and parts. I got it running good 5+ years ago, but everything was put back, the way I thought it should be. and have had a slight oil leak that I have been dealing with ever since due to this crankcase pressure. I have been all through the PCV including the sump port, everything is clear. Tried the 5/8" trick from the PCV to no avail.

Right now, I have a catch can coming off a modified oil cap, then vented to atmosphere, and still have the crankcase pressure / leaks.

I realize that the common sense approach is rings / pistons, but with the oil in my intercooler I am leaning towards it pushing gases to the crankcase. I am about to either rebuild or find me a decent one with low miles at the yard to pull it from.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

car-parts.com is a good site for finding yard parts before you drive out... Plenty of rebuild kits on ebay - you can probably do both, find a yard part, then rebuild yours and resell one of them. You should be able to spot check the cam timing but usually when that's off by a notch the engine will throw a code and the compression may actually go down below spec uniformly.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

One thing to remember. The block is assembled with anaerobic sealant. Once the seal has been broken, its broken. Nothing you can do to fix it other than taking it apart and resealing it.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

D33, Boxpin makes a good point - if the sealant wasn't done correctly when the head gasket was replaced you could need to redo, but its easier to try a turbo rebuild first...

Old 06-23-2015, 10:09 PM

After looking here, I am also seeing there should be some check valves in the vacuum lines. Could this back pressure in these lines under boost be the reason why I have vacuum on the crankcase at idle and pressure / smoking dipstick during throttle? I would think during boost there is going to be pressure backing into those lines, and possibly the pcv and back into the sump? My car has none of these check valves.

When I did the head gasket the lower end was not touched, did not separate the block.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/vacuum-hose-diagram-1994-2000-turbos.html