Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Cannot Unlock Doors Via Fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot Unlock Doors Via Fob

Hello all. My girlfriend recently acquired a 97 850GLT and we're running into a problem.

We can lock the doors with key fob but we cannot unlock them. As a result we have to unlock the doors with the keys and then the car thinks it is being stolen and won't allow us to start it. To fix it, we have to lock the door with the key and unlock it when the key. If we try to unlock the door with the fob, the motors move but the mechanism doesn't move.

The previous owner had a battery that had lower than recommended cranking amps and some dead cells. We replaced it last night hoping that would fix our issue and it doesn't. Could the fob be improperly programmed? Maybe the new battery needs to spend some time on the charger? Any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can commiserate but I can't help as mine does something similar.

I tried a couple different recommended programming procedures but mine is still intermittent. Is yours a wagon? Do you have the factory programming procedure?

Not trying to hijack but I have a wagon question. When you lock by remote should the tailgate lock also?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes the tail gate should unlock also. However, most Volvo's that I've owned had a lock out feature on the tail gate or trunk. If you turn the key and pull it out, the remote will NOT unlock it. When you turn the key (in the trunk/tailgate) and turn it back before removing the key, the tail gate/trunk will unlock with everything else.

As for the initial remote problem, you can take your remote into the dealer and ask them to check it for you. They will usually do that for FREE (about the only thing they will do for free). Those remotes also have a battery in them. You can try that.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For a free check you can also hit up a parts store or hardware store like Ace. I know OReilly has a tester on the counter with their battery display. There is a chance it's just one of the buttons that's shot. You hit a button to turn the tester on and then you just push each of your buttons on your remote. Each time you push a button you should see a light on the tester confirm it's getting a signal.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I am suspecting your fob unlock is bad. I was going to recommend what Kiss said. Take it to an auto parts store and test it. Our Autozone has the battery tester, it will tell you if your button is broadcasting or not.

If it is broadcasting I would reprogram it again.

If that does not work either then there is the possibility that the receiver is having an issue. The receiver is on the passenger kick panel up high by the glove box. There is also a red relay under the dash that will be marked Alarm. These three items: Fob, receiver, relay make up your system so it should be pretty easy to figure out whose not working.

Last edited by boxpin; 11-19-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a key fob that does not work and one that does. I have taken that one that does NOT work to the dealer and AutoZone and they say it does NOT work. Then I have them test the one that DOES work and they say it DOES NOT work either. I don't know what to think.

I guess I can try to program the one that DOES NOT WORK and see what happens. Can't remember how to program the remotes on the '95 model.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM

The first thing you should check is the battery in the fob. Mine got weak and wouldnt work consistently. 3 Volt battery read 2.1 volts on my multi-tester, replaced it and it was restored.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM

To program an 850 FOB, turn the key in the ignition on and off five times fairly fast. On the last time leave the ignition on at which time you should see the red LED on top of the dash flashing. While it is flashing, press the button on the FOB. The rede LED should acknowledge the programming. If you have more than one FOB, these must be programmed as well and within 10 or 12 seconds of each other. Then switch off ignition, and check that FOBs work.