Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Can't figure out how to make new trip computer work

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't figure out how to make new trip computer work

I have a 1994 850 (the older version with no sunroof). Bought a trip computer on eBay that was advertised as matching my car - when I received it, the plug was the right shape (the flat gray one) and all seemed to go well with the install. However, when I try to use it, the display stays blank except for the clock. I know that the LCD works, because all of the components light up briefly when I turn the car on. But I don't get "DISC" or any other message when the car is running; only the clock.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be wrong? I tried disconnecting the INFO switch just to see if it would give me an error, but that didn't change anything. I don't have the ambient temperature sensor installed, but I hesitate to spend more for parts if this won't work anyway. At this point, I'm stuck - from what I can tell, the 850s didn't need extra programming, and the plugs matched my cluster and obviously are powering at least the clock.

Any ideas? They'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: if it helps, I've attached some pictures - of the cluster before I installed the new computer, and of the computer itself.

Last edited by mmajarian; 10-27-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It should work unless it does not 100% match. I know there is many different setups.
There is even a few posts on the forum about the different ones.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a Yazaki cluster, I doubt that trip is going to work in that cluster. I'm guessing that trip will only work in the more common cluster, I forget the name, but it's the one that basically every 850 has.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
You have a Yazaki cluster, I doubt that trip is going to work in that cluster. I'm guessing that trip will only work in the more common cluster, I forget the name, but it's the one that basically every 850 has.
VDO is the other one. I thought that I had done enough research going into this, but the thing of it is - I can't figure out why the plug would fit, and the clock would work, if it was designed for another cluster. Are there VDO clusters with the thin gray connector? I thought that the thick green one was the only one that worked with them.

I found another thread in the forum where a guy replaced his cluster (and computer) with a VDO one and it worked fine - but honestly, I like the way mine looks a lot better, and a new one wouldn't be worth the price. Do you know if any 1994s came with a different Yakazi cluster? Or did they only ever make one?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extra VDO cluster in my parts bin. PM me if interested. You didnt specify if it's a turbo or not, but the gauge i have is out of a 1994 Turbo, and it's a VDO.

**edit: everything works on this cluster except the odometer. with the cluster out, its $25 for the gear and it's MAYBE 30 minutes to do it. There may be a couple burned out bulbs, but again, it's an easy fix with the upper dash out - just plug in and turn on and see which ones dont light. Personally, I replaced ALL the bulbs in my gauge when I replaced it. I'd hate to do it only to have to tear it down for a bad bulb a month later.

Last edited by ibified; 10-28-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by ibified
I have an extra VDO cluster in my parts bin. PM me if interested. You didnt specify if it's a turbo or not, but the gauge i have is out of a 1994 Turbo, and it's a VDO.

**edit: everything works on this cluster except the odometer. with the cluster out, its $25 for the gear and it's MAYBE 30 minutes to do it. There may be a couple burned out bulbs, but again, it's an easy fix with the upper dash out - just plug in and turn on and see which ones dont light. Personally, I replaced ALL the bulbs in my gauge when I replaced it. I'd hate to do it only to have to tear it down for a bad bulb a month later.
Hey! Appreciate it, but mine is a non-turbo. The price you have to pay to drive a stick, I guess. Thanks though.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmajarian
VDO is the other one. I thought that I had done enough research going into this, but the thing of it is - I can't figure out why the plug would fit, and the clock would work, if it was designed for another cluster. Are there VDO clusters with the thin gray connector? I thought that the thick green one was the only one that worked with them.

I found another thread in the forum where a guy replaced his cluster (and computer) with a VDO one and it worked fine - but honestly, I like the way mine looks a lot better, and a new one wouldn't be worth the price. Do you know if any 1994s came with a different Yakazi cluster? Or did they only ever make one?
I think it's just Yazaki or VDO. I've never heard of different variations of them, and I would have seeing how many clusters go in and out of VS for sale.

Originally Posted by mmajarian
Hey! Appreciate it, but mine is a non-turbo. The price you have to pay to drive a stick, I guess. Thanks though.
That's a pretty hefty price you have to pay. I think I'm going to stick to my turbo/stick combination.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I'm jealous- wish I had the turbo. Anyway, maybe this just won't work. Thanks, all.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FYR. If the car has necessary wiring, you may want to look at the connector on both the LCD & car side to see if the number of the wires match.

P.S: Thw attached image has been reduced to less than half so the legends are illegible. The attachment size needs to be increased.....

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Can't figure out how to make new trip computer work-850-inst-6-.jpg  

Last edited by JPN; 11-06-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Attachment being useless