Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

P0014 mechanic can't figure it out

Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0014 mechanic can't figure it out

After I have get the head gasket done, head shaved and put it back. Right after I got the car back, I notice something strange. My driving style is very light foot at start up, and sometime to avoid the strong pull in traffic, I often do fast tap on the pedal just to get the car move slowly. But after I got the car back from all those big work on it. the car will go shaking bad as I very lightly press on the gas pedal. I often seen the RPM needle goes near 700 - 600 area and give me a shake, but if I press on it a little bit deeper(only little bit) the car will recover and drive normal. If I press on the pedal normally the car is normal. But very often if the car went into this kind of shaking, the idle will now be fluctuate between 900 - 600. People on the street will see your car is shaking back and fore. I have to stop the car to one side and pull the OBD code and clear it. The car will goes normal again until the same thing happen. Recently, I also found that if I brake my car hard let say I am braking for those margin Red/Yellow light. The car quite often will has the same problem, the idle will go crazy and the P0014 will appear again. But in such a case of hard stopping, I don't have a chance to look at the RPM. It happens to me many times, before I found out all these symptom. I took it to mechanic who do this head gasket work for me. He has no idea... Now all I am doing is try to avoid those light gas, and if in case of emergency stopping, either brake in N or have my OBD reader ready. I am very flustrated with this car, and now I am watching my water temperature gauge all the time.

Please help me.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

What year is it?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 PM

It is a 2000 c70...
I also might believe when the car is low in fuel (needle around 2 gallon left). The start is a little bit harder, it take a longer time before it actually get it start, but it is not a battery problem...

Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are 'throwing' P0014 then your mechanic has not set your cams properly and you are out of timing by a notch or two. When he had the head off he did not index the cam shafts properly.

r.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree I would check the timing first.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 AM

Can I just walk into dealer in my next service to ask them to check the timing for me?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure you can................but you will be charged for that service if you had the head serviced at another facility. Any way you look at it however, you have to determine if the cams are set properly first before you start eliminating other issues as to why the Volvo is not running 'correctly'.

r.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Default Latest Update on this shaking issues

I haven't schedule my visit to a mechanics yet, but I did buy an IPD short RAM intake last week. 2 days ago I put it on the car and I found out something interesting. I didn't really few much different in terms of acceleration, may be because my foot is light anyway, so I didn't pay much of attention to strong pull. But the RPM needle seems to flip from idle to 1200-1300 faster or more responsive to the gas pedal. I try my foot very very light and want to see will I get that shaking again. But seems to be I didn't feel that shaking anymore... Very strange, and for 2 days I didn't get any shaking and I did try braking hard to see will I get the same error code but nothing again. I would hope that really did get the problem solve, but could anyone educate me on what's going on with that?

Drive this car is kind of scary to me now, because I can't explain what is going on in the car. I just order a ScanGauge II to monitor the operation of the car. and I am hoping to put a water injection system to help cool down the car. Not looking for some BIG BOOST, but I am scare of that heat problem.