Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

Hey guys,

The other day I was having issues with my car going above 25MPH. I eventually got it heated up after letting it sit for about 20-30 minutes, and I could go normal speeds. However, there was no boost. I noticed when I was revving the car, the top intercooler hose was collapsing. Well, later that night I tried to go home, and the darn thing wouldn't turn over at all. It sounds like it's about to, and then stops. I'm able to get it to start with the intercooler hose off, but only for a few seconds.

I've talked to tech about this, and he's still scratching his head. I, unfortunately, don't have a warm garage I could bring it to. :/ All the local places around here are booked out almost a freakin' week.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I am guessing it has been very cold around your area lately? This seems to happen when the oil that collects in the intercooler becomes suck a think mess that clogs up the intercooler. What you need to do is disconnect the lower hose to the intercooler and clean out the bottom of the intercooler. This should get you going again.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by fcpgroton
I am guessing it has been very cold around your area lately? This seems to happen when the oil that collects in the intercooler becomes suck a think mess that clogs up the intercooler. What you need to do is disconnect the lower hose to the intercooler and clean out the bottom of the intercooler. This should get you going again.
Surprisingly, the car started up today. I guess something had to thaw out. I didn't get to try your suggestion! Next time this happens, I will. Thanks for the tip.

I actually ordered the replacement top intercooler hose from you guys!