Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Clunk and squeal from rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk and squeal from rear

I've got my inlaw's 96 850 with 265k. They coaxed me into replacing their blower motor... which turns out to also need a new relay, but anyways...

It's a 5 speed, and I'm used to driving 5 speeds. I always pull the parking brake up out of habit. It seems this poor car is not letting go on one side... more specifically the driver's side. I can tell that side is grabbing more because of the heat coming from that side after driving. The car squeals at low speed, and if you're lucky will get a nasty sounding clunk. The clunk is coming from the rear. I think the clunk only happens if you're unfortunate enough to of pulled the brake. I'm hoping it's something with the rear brakes, but I am not sure. What could be causing this nasty clunk? The car lives in the rustbelt so it may be time for new cables.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Default RE: Clunk and squeal from rear

Time to get underneath and have someone operate the brake lever while you see what is not moving. Hopefully a spray of releasing/penetrating oil will be all that is needed.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Agreed something is hanging up.

Remove the caliper and rotor and inspect the shoes really good.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:42 PM

The clunk was caused by the exhaust hitting the spring on the driver side rear suspension.

I'm a confused with the parking brake problem. I don't see any moving parts. Everything looks sealed up or protected by shields. The brake doesn't work if the wheels are turned backwards or the car is moving backwards. The brake seems to keep the wheels from turning forwards. I'm inclined to think the cables are ok and the problem is something else. What should I do?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

The brake shoes open on the inside of the rotor.
You might want to adjust it a little tighter.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Agreed something is hanging up.

Remove the caliper and rotor and inspect the shoes really good.
Everything looks pretty normal in there at first glance. Taking a good look at the shoes, they're not a uniform thickness all the way around. I was by myself, but didn't see the mechanism moving a whole lot when I applied the parking brake. It was kinda awkward hanging out the car while pulling the lever up, but I didn't see much movement of anything. I know it has to move a little because it grabs the wheel but not very well. When released it doesn't let go very well either. It tends to hang up and make a nasty bang even by hand. I don't understand what's hanging up. I'm guessing the uneven shoes are torturing the system? Could they cause the system to hang up? Could my parking brake cable be bad?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Maybe the cable is hanging up.

The shoes maybe but I doubt it.

Maybe try cleaning the backing plate and installing some grease on the moving parts.
But be very careful not to get it on the shoes.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the cables are shot. On one side I get movement. Only one shoe moves. Is this correct?
On the other side, I can only get the shoe to move if I move the cable around manually. With the parking brake tight the one side doesn't move. I do have another dilemma now

I was hesitant to tie up the calipers to protect the brake lines so I disconnected them. I'm unable to get one of the fittings to screw back on. It won't thread on so either the caliper or the fitting's threads are messed up. The brake line fitting is of a softer metal so I would imagine it's threads are marginally messed up.

I'm flipping out because that is my backup car right now and another car just blew a head gasket. I'm pretty up the creek here. I can't believe some lowsy fitting is causing me such a nightmare!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Walk away for a few and drink Beer (If you drink)
Then go back and make sure you are going in straight.
Work it slowly and it should go.

They are a pain to get started sometimes.