Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

cold air intake for non-turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake for non-turbo

can someone put me on to a cold air intake that goes to a non-turbo 1995 850 GLT. Also, do they make a chip for the same car? Thanks in advance

Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Default RE: cold air intake for non-turbo

hey CD....well i have a 95 GLE wagon (non turbo) and i believe you have a low pressure turbo....but if what i noticed is....on the exhaust manifold heat shield protector...there is a tube that connects to it that goes into the air box..i was thinking of disconnecting the heatshield side....connecting a small cone filter to it and trying to get it far down in the engine bay and this can work as a CAI...just a thought...and won't cost much...ylou should also have an air intake from in front of the rad. that also goes into the air box...
fabs

Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 PM

Cdalbon,

Not sure about the chip but I can offer you some advice as to Cold Air Intakes on N/A cars.

NOT WORTH IT!!

Most European makers using Bosch fuel injection have spent more time and money than any aftermarket company on designing their intakes. I suggest a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox. I have put "Cold Air Intakes" on quite a few cars for friends of mine, in addition designed and built one for my VW Jetta and they only make a cool sound, there is really no increase in real flow or horse power over a K&N in a stock box. Also, there are risks of water ingestion and other issues with these "cold air kits". One example on friends car was the filter started picking up water on a very rainy day, making the filter so heavy it slipped off the air mass meter, he ran the car for a couple days WITH NO FILTER AT ALL before finding it. With a Bosch Mass Air meter like $250 I would not want to risk messing it up.

I am not familiar with the GLT non-turbo but I think the air intake tract is the same as the turbo drawing air from the grill. Just remove the funky piece in the front and put a K&N panel filter in and be done with it.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello cdalbon,

I have only found one place for the intake, but that was a pay me to send you my plans site that was B.S..

I have been looking for over a year for one, while making other repairs, and havent found one yet. It may be that I will have to figure one out for my self. Hey if it works maybe I could make some extra cash

As for the chip for the non turbo, like mine, there are none{that I have found}.

If I am to understand the my research correctly, the turbo ECU is capable of greater variables in timing, fuel and air for maximizing performance where as the N.A. ECU is set up for safe max performance from the factory and everyone that I have spoken with that performs chip changes have stated that the N.A. ECU is setup as good as it will get.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't exist. Make your own.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

No they do not make a chip persay. Not many do.

Try Inmotion and see what they have. You wont see the gains you do like in a turbo model. You may be lucky to see 5-10 extra horses and for the money it wont be worth it.

Sell your N/A and buy a turbo model.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than a cold air intake make sure you don't have a hot air intake. Both of my N/A cars had a bad airbox thermostat that forced hot air from around the exhaust manifold into the intake air. It kills performance and also kills the mileage. The real fix is to jamb it open to the cold air side and forget about it. On the coldest subzero Kansas days it takes the car about an extra 1/2 blockto warm up to full temp.

...Lee

Old 08-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Put the K&N filter in, enjoy the 29mpg all day long!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 PM

I agree with Ozark....i have the same thing on my car..there is the tube from the manifold heatshield going into the airbox..either block it closed so you only get the one from the front of the rad (cold air)...or like i said, disconnect the manifold h-shied side, slap on a cone filter and dry to get it down lower in the engine bay (colder air)..case closed..ciao
fabs