Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Desperate plea for help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Desperate plea for help

All,

Well, my son decided to "help" in the removal of the AC compressor on the 95 850 Turbo. While I was at work, he got the compressor out.....the hard way!

He removed the fan shroud, power steering pump, alternator, and the compressor. Trouble is, he didn't mark which bolts and brackets went with what. I re-shimmed the compressor(the gap was 50 thousands of an inch, no wonder it didn't work) And went to re-assemble it all.

Here is where I need help. I have no idea what bolts and brackets go with what, and of course he doesn't remember. I can figure out the power steering pump and serpentine belt tensioner, but I need a description of how many bolts hold the compressor in, how many hold the alternator in.

Thanks all......what would we do without helpfrom kids???

Glenn

Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Desperate plea for help

Hi Glenn,

I am of no use as to how many bolts hold the comp, but for the alternator there are 3 long bolts, one of which is kind of hidden deep in the abyss and you have to feel it. Also, one or two bolts go through the alternator and screw into the idler pulley bracket. The tensioner pulley should mount on the large bracket that holds the idler pulley. The PWS pump has a bracket that has to face the correct direction, but this one you would be able to figure out by playing with it.

Some spaces are ultimately limited and you will need 1/4" drive socket tools, or 3/8" drive sockets with universal joint. They are musts.

I'll list some URLs that have partial pics.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Radiator850turbo.php

I did research both in English & Japanese, but couldn't find a good compressor removal site. I guess we'd have to wait until Tech comes home or some hero jumps in

This is too late to say, but next time I would tell your son to use a digital camera or a sketch book during complex procedures.

Sorry I couldn't help you any better.

JPN

Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

JPN and all,

Well, the emergency is over. With JPN's help and links to pictures, three or four beers, and some good old fashioned trial and error, I have it backtogether again. Well,almost..... I still have the serpentine belt tensioner and belt, and some odds and ends to put back on, but it is all backin one piece with no strange bolts left over.

I admit, I admire the kid for wanting to help out, but I had to tell him next time take pictures or mark the parts or something..........sheesh!

Thanks again for the assistance JPN, you were a great help.

Glenn

Old 04-04-2007, 02:18 AM
JPN

Hi Glenn,

Glad to hear the EMG is over. I believe it was a good learning experience for your son.

As for the serpentine belt tensioner, it mounts on the idler pulley bracket (that long flat metal thing). Also, you may already know, but use a 1/2" breaker bar &3/4" adapter to relax the tensioner. Expect this to slip, so you may have to do some trials & cursing, I usually angle the breaker bar toward the engine so that the 3/4" adapter fits a bit better. I think dealers use special adapter thatfits without slipping. Also, there is a little hole on the tensioner, and you can insert a drill bit or Allen wrench at the max-relaxed position. This makes the job much easier.I believe the coolant reservoir & ECU's have to be out of the way when you work on the tensioner,but someone said he does it without removing them.

>three or four beers
Everyone should have them in their toolbox.

Good luck on the rest of the procedure.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/7B123BAF49744D1CB5732EDA57FA355A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son, who is now 27, is better at doing this stuff than I am. But he could always tear stuff apart and put it back together. I swear it started with Lego's. I've seen him take on tasks I would never try on his BMW. I think I'm more like your son though. I have a tendency to not keep track of all the nuts and bolts when I tear something apart. Then I get my son to bail me out. I can take most anything apart and put it back together if not too much time passes bewteen the two. I kind of line things up in the order they came off and work backwards when putting back together. If time passes things seem to get moved around.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:46 PM
JPN

Hi Jim,

I usually have a sharpie with me and mark each bolt/nut/component, and put them in a sandwich bag I get from Wal-mart. I find this quite helpful.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/013F09CCC2FD411EAE114E4828D97EFE.jpg[/IMG]