Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Do I need to reset computer in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to reset computer in my car?

I have a 1997 850 GLT. I just replaced the MAF sensor.

(NOTE: I got the sensor from speedyracer for only 24.95 & it looked generic compared to the other one)

After replacing the MAF sensor, my car actually ran a LOT worse then it previously did. At this time I am driving my car with the sensor unplugged, it is the only way I am able to drive it.

So, my question is this; do I need to reset my computer? If so, how do I reset it? I have read on other websites to touch the cables together or to leave the battery unplugged for 15 minutes and tap the brakes. I do not want to do this if it could create more problems.

I am new to all of this car fixing stuff and am still learning. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Why did you decide to replace the MAF to begin with, I would plug the old one back in, at least temporarily til you get an oem new one.

Is your car having a check engine light on?

I have not heard of speedyracer before BUT I would not buy from someone who can not spell Volvo correctly.

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR FIT 94-97 VOLVE 850 98 C70 V70 S70 2.3L/2.4L 7403507697

Last edited by Random; 12-01-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Agree with Random! - step 1 is clean the old MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner (don't use carb cleaner) and see if you can find the OEM part numbers off the original. Step 2 reinstall. If the car still runs badly, check for CEL codes to make sure its the MAF. Most likely the part you got is NOT a correct replacement and its worth going to a Volvo OEM which matches your exact number. Look around for other air leaks, clean the intake and the idle air valve as well. If you still need to replace the MAF, shop from a reputable Volvo specialty mail order places like FCPEURO or EEUROPARTS or if you want OEM, check out TASCAPARTS (best dealer pricing out there) Use the part number from your car or your VIN to get the exact fit. There are tons of posts where people replaced the MAF only to find the replacement ran worse because they installed the wrong replacement part.

As to your question on the resetting the computer, there's a question on to what end? If you want to clear the check end light, you need an OBD2 code reader to view then clear codes. If you want to "relearn" your ECU, here's a link to read up on what this does (I don't think this applies to your issue):

Volvo 850 computer relearn procedures

Old 12-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

A check engine can only be reset through the OBD port.

Fuel trims can be reset by pulling the ECU out for about 15 sec

Old 12-03-2015, 10:31 AM

My MAF Sensor was bad. I discovered this after reading some post on here, that said, if you disconnect the sensor and it runs better without it plugged in, then that is the problem. I unplugged it and it ran a LOT better.

The old MAF sensor: When it was plugged in it would bog down upon acceleration or upon coming to a stop or when climbing hills. When I unplugged the sensor, it stopped doing all of that.

The new sensor: I made it 100 yards out of my driveway and my car was sputtering and then just shut off. So, I unplugged it and have been driving it like that since.As far as the misspelling of Volvo, I wish I would have noticed that . I have used Europarts in the past, I will see what they have.

I have now been running my car with the MAF sensor disconnected and it runs pretty good, however, I am noticing that it loses its get up and go at times. (Not sure how to put that in words) I will try though: If I am driving at a constant speed it is fine, but, when I come to almost a complete stop and then accelerate to pull out onto another road, it almost shuts off. That really scared me!

But, overall, the car is running much better with out the MAF plugged in.

Thank you so much for your input. I will be checking out the sites you gave me.