Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

DREADED STRANDERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DREADED STRANDERS

As I've said in another thread, my 850 is what I consider a nice piece of engineering. But the forum probably wouldn't exist if things didn't go wrong with these marvels.

My bad dream is being a hundred or more miles from home and some electronic control or other critical system part goes out. If I wasn't lucky enough to be near a Volvo shop I'd probably have to junk the car.

So I'd like to have a few critical spare parts.

What should be on my list?

Thanks!

JimBee

Old 12-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Default RE: DREADED STRANDERS

The one time I got stranded in 5 years was when I let the exhaust camshaft seal leak go without fixing it. The hot oil dripped onto the lower radiator hose and it blew. I was so lucky, 3 days prior we had driven the car a couple hundred miles at night while moving from another state! It blew about 1/2 block from a Volvo indy shop, so I found a good mechanic early on in my move by accident.

It bad probably been leaking for at least a year if not more. My other hoses were cracked and I actually just replaced them, it was like playing Russian roulette.

The car has been in my family for 13 years and to my knowledge this was the only time it failed on us. My starter went but it was a 2-3 month process and I kept driving it knowing it would fail eventually, so that is not the cars fault.

I'm just hoping to keep it going for another few years, the tranny has a hard shift but that's about the only thing I can tell is wrong with it right now. Also it's my fault, I grew up learning to drive in the car and when I was alone I'd rev it in neutral and drop it into Drive, I just think back now and say "you dumbass!!!". If only I knew...

As far as electrical goes if yours has a/c the fan relay is known to go bad, that caused mine to overheat back in the summer fortunately it didn't blow the HG, but I'd look into that. It's about $60 at CarQuest or $45 + shipping at FCP.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have a minor oil seepage in that area - no drops on the pavement when parked. That'll be on my list for spring tune up.

For the fan, you're referring to the main cooling fan for the radiator, not a fan for A/C unit.

Does anyone know if the air mass sensor is a likely problem?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sometimes it can be. When I go on a trip I carry spare intercooler hoses,(Have a few samco while waiting to find the others I don't have)
Mass flow sensor,fuel pump, and fuel pump relay. That is what is usually in the trunk when I make the trips from FLA. to myrtle beach which is a 9 hour drive for me.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Thanks, guys, for the tips. So far, no hiccupping and I really like it like that. But I always carry some tools and I might as well have parts that can at least get me home if something does fail.