Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Drivers seat adjustment...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers seat adjustment...?

1995 Volvo 850 GLT:

Drivers electric seat isn't working properly.
It will move front to back & back to front.
It will also tilt as designed. But that moves the whole entire seat position.
It will NOT allow me to adjust the "seat back" up or down. The only way to
get comfortably upright is to adjust the "tilt" function.
I need it to be able to adjust the "seat back."

How does it work? is it cable driven? I can hear a motor running when the the switch is activated. However there is no "seat back" movement.

Is there a procedure to open up the seat so that I may have a look inside to determine what is malfunctioning?

It is very uncomfortable to drive. I bought it in October with 150, 000 miles on it. In wonderful shape. Yeah,...it needed some maintenance & some fixing, but aside from the Rear Shocks and Brakes all around, it got a Blower Motor & Resistor. Flushed the Antifreeze/Coolant, Flushed the Transmission, gave it a new Timing Belt & Tensioner & some Winter Tires and the Wife has been enjoying it ever since.
I paid only $100. for the car. [Yeah, I'm bragging..a little.]
A since I'm am Auto technician at a private shop , I was able to acquire parts for a relatively decent cost.
-No matter what though...the Mrs. won't be happy until that darn seat issue can be repaired!
Soooo.... if anyone ...I mean anyone...has an idea on how to fix/repair the "seat back" adjuster on my favorite car....please feel free to relinquish your ideas/knowledge so that i can live happily ever after!!!
Thank You.
North42g

Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by north42g
1995 volvo 850 glt:

Drivers electric seat isn't working properly.
It will move front to back & back to front.
It will also tilt as designed. But that moves the whole entire seat position.
It will not allow me to adjust the "seat back" up or down. The only way to
get comfortably upright is to adjust the "tilt" function.
I need it to be able to adjust the "seat back."

how does it work? Is it cable driven? I can hear a motor running when the the switch is activated. However there is no "seat back" movement.

Is there a procedure to open up the seat so that i may have a look inside to determine what is malfunctioning?

It is very uncomfortable to drive. I bought it in october with 150, 000 miles on it. In wonderful shape. Yeah,...it needed some maintenance & some fixing, but aside from the rear shocks and brakes all around, it got a blower motor & resistor. Flushed the antifreeze/coolant, flushed the transmission, gave it a new timing belt & tensioner & some winter tires and the wife has been enjoying it ever since.
I paid only $100. For the car. [yeah, i'm bragging..a little.]
a since i'm am auto technician at a private shop , i was able to acquire parts for a relatively decent cost.
-no matter what though...the mrs. Won't be happy until that darn seat issue can be repaired!
Soooo.... If anyone ...i mean anyone...has an idea on how to fix/repair the "seat back" adjuster on my favorite car....please feel free to relinquish your ideas/knowledge so that i can live happily ever after!!!
Thank you.
North42g
yes , all of the seat functions have a motor and cables , the back uses one cable . Try a google search on this problem . It's been years since i did one . I remember removing the upholstery . Best to get a new cable although many have used a shortening method , but why bother for such a small savings when you might have to do the job twice . Sometimes it is necessary to recalibrate the seat when done with a repair . It's easy with the volvo scan tool but can be done with a push button method at the diagnotic plug b6 - a real pain . Vtech

Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

I have done the cable shortening method and it has worked great every since. I did it without removing the seat from the car but it was tough. I didnt heat them up, I took the cable out and cut a bit out of it.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

15. 850 Seat back cable repair

https://volvoforums.com/m_88154/tm.htm