Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Drivers wiper problems

Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers wiper problems

My drivers side windshield wiper doesn't wipe the entire window. If you look straight up from the temp gauge thats about where it stops wiping. The wiper moves all the way to the edge of the window, just doesn't wipe all the way. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Another forum said to bend the bent bracket, but I'm afraid I'll break something inside by pushing too hard on it. Any help woud be appreciated, its getting really annoying - and dangerous since I cant see at intersections.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Default RE: Drivers wiper problems

Mine started to do the exact same thing, and then one day on the way to work after a snowstorm it failed on the expressway. On the upswing it got loose enough to fling all the way past the edge of the windshield and proceeded to flap by the driver's side window.

Open the hood and tighten the bolt where the arm connects to the body as soon as you can. Chances are it'll get loose again so keep a keen eye on it.

And don't be afraid to push the arm into the window. It won't hurt anything. I have to once every few months.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the same issue a while back. I tried the push on the arm method, along with a set of new blades, and it now works fine. I actually pushed hard enough to make the arm touch the windshield when I was pushing on it. They are strong so don't worry about breaking it.

Glenn

Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the nut off holding the arm in place, put the arm in a vise and where it is bent already near the bolt, bend it just a little further. It worked for me on my white car and on my previous 850, but I still need to do it on the yellow car. You don't need to bend it much at all. I did mine a little thinking I would keep doing it a little at a time until I got it right, but it only took one little bend and now mine swipes all the way over instead of lifting off the windshield. Very poor design by Volvo.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 AM

Common problem/defect on our cars. As Jim says, the arm can be bent to fix it. I'll also include this link which worked for me...
http://volvospeed.com/wiperarm.php

Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Jim's suggestion, but before you do, like has been mentioned, check the nut. I thought I was going to have to bend mine until I snugged the nut up again and it works great now.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Another resort, which no one else seems to have done except myself(), is to install a half washer under the arm pivot stud to makethe arminstalled at an angle. Cut a thick washer in half (chamfering it with a file is a nice touch) and install it, but don't go too tight on the nut, snug tight + 1/8 turn is all you need. Or, you can install a lock washer right under the nut to keep it from loosening. But I guess bending the arm takes less time and has beenconfirmed to work by many.

JPN

Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JPN

Another resort, which no one else seems to have done except myself(), is to install a half washer under the arm pivot stud to makethe arminstalled at an angle. Cut a thick washer in half (chamfering it with a file is a nice touch) and install it, but don't go too tight on the nut, snug tight + 1/8 turn is all you need. Or, you can install a lock washer right under the nut to keep it from loosening. But I guess bending the arm takes less time and has beenconfirmed to work by many.

JPN
That's a good idea too JPN! Most of us don't use that part of our brains that often... We think brute force first. [8D]

Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try JPN's solution and if I can't get it just right, then I'll go with JimKW's idea. I've put a little pressure on it, but like I said, I'm just a little afriad of breaking something that the arm is attached to. I had the regular Bosch wiper blades on it but had problems with them freezing up in the snow and cold weather - I drive around Ohio, WV, Ky, PA for work so these little problems are annoying when driving for hours. I tried the Bosch Excel (I guess the top of the line wiper from Bosch)to see if it would help the wiper problembut no luck - I think it should help the freezing problem in cold weather since it doesn't have any of those little joints in it.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cutting a frigging washer in half sounds harder than taking off the arm and bending slightly, but either should work fine.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Cutting a frigging washer in half sounds harder than taking off the arm and bending slightly, but either should work fine.
I don't want to sound like I'm knocking JPN, but I kinda thought that too at first. Then I started looking at what he was saying. I think that's exactly why he's so good on this board, because he thinks outside the box. And if you've got a dremel drill or some other type of heavy duty snip, it'd be pretty quick. I would have never thought of it, and it would work.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
JPN

ORIGINAL: JimKW

LOL.

JPN

Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
JPN

OK, gentlemen, please see attached; it is an example of the tool that can cut a frigging washer with minimal effort (make sure not to let it hit your eye; it will **** you off[8D]). And the washer does not have to be so thick; I used one that was about 1mm in thickness, and you can install two/three 1mm washers (I believe one should suffice). I resorted to this, because bending the arm didn't work for me.....

....then I realised that it was the arm I was supposed to bend, not the wiper blade itself like I did.....

.....duh[8D].

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/52D6951C47D54B3D8466991C321EC082.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 PM

I had this same problem....went to the local hardware store and bought "M8-1.25" lock nuts.Never had a problem since. I love when that happens!!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
JPN

It is called Swedish Technology.....[8D].

JPN

Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM

I just used the push method to fix mine, took all of about 10 seconds. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I was crafting ways to try and diagnose what the problem was... new wiper blades, taking off the arm, etc. All I needed to do wasgive it a little bend! Thanks for the (real time saving) tip.