Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Electrical fault light

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical fault light

The battery on our 1995 850 non-turbo went flat and I purchased a new one.

Since putting it in, we have a orange light on the dash telling us there is an electrical fault. The car has been driven a number of times now but the light hasn't reset itself. It stays on during the entire trip and stays lit after the dashboard check when starting the engine.

There is no OBD plug inside the car.

Is there a way to try a reset for our car that won't involve an expensive trip to a dealer?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the same car in the US, and I have a light on the left that tells me that I have a bulb burned out (it's orange). I have a light on the right that tells me the alternator is not working. It's red and has a picture of a battery.

The bulb burned out light has a picture on it that is basically incomprehensible to normal people. Could be a dung beetle in ancient egypt. Is this the one that you see? If so, you just have an exterior light bulb out.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
I have the same car in the US, and I have a light on the left that tells me that I have a bulb burned out (it's orange). I have a light on the right that tells me the alternator is not working. It's red and has a picture of a battery.

The bulb burned out light has a picture on it that is basically incomprehensible to normal people. Could be a dung beetle in ancient egypt. Is this the one that you see? If so, you just have an exterior light bulb out.
Hi. I don't have the car with me today, but the indicator I'm referring to is on the right hand side bottom corner of the dashboard. If I remember correctly it has a red lightening bolt, but I may be wrong.
My son looked up the owners manual in the glovebox which said it was an electrical fault and needed a service. It was a coincidence it appeared after replacing the battery so I'm hoping it just needs a reset and not actually a problem. The car starts and drives perfectly normally.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmmm. That is the first time I have ever heard of that.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ss2115
Hi. I don't have the car with me today, but the indicator I'm referring to is on the right hand side bottom corner of the dashboard. If I remember correctly it has a red lightening bolt, but I may be wrong.
My son looked up the owners manual in the glovebox which said it was an electrical fault and needed a service. It was a coincidence it appeared after replacing the battery so I'm hoping it just needs a reset and not actually a problem. The car starts and drives perfectly normally.
I drove the car to the office today.
Its a square orange light with a green triangle in the middle. In the green triangle looks like one of those men at work signes you sometimes see with a man shoveling. Its very small and difficult to distinguish.

In the owners book it says electrical malfunction. But everything on the car seems to be working so I assume its from the battery change - probably from trying to crank a cold engine with an almost empty battery perhaps.