Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Emissions-ABS, Air Pump, Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Emissions-ABS, Air Pump, Speed Sensor

I live in Virginia and am trying to get my 850 to pass Emissions. The first attempt failed and the garage I took it to told me I needed a new Engine in order to pass Emissions. Now, I know that I'm a woman but I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to spend 5 grand on a new engine in order to pass emissions. The guy said my car was blowing visible smoke, which I've never seen before...

Anyways, I took it to the Volvo dealership down the street and they laughed when I told them that the other place said I needed a new engine...

Volvo's Diagnosis:
There's nothing actually wrong with the car, but because the ABS and CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS are on, they can't pass my car for emissions. In order to get the ABS light off, they say I need a new ABS Console and likely a new speed sensor, which will cost around a grand for parts and labor. In order to get the check engine light off, Volvo says I need to get new "pigtails" that are around my air pump...that theres actually nothing wrong with the air pump, but because the pig tails are old, they're tripping the light.

So in order to pass my car for Virginia emissions I need to spend at least $1200 to get the lights in my car to go off. I can't believe it and think that its ridiculous especially since there is NOTHING wrong with my car and theres actually NOTHING polluting the air. I thought thats what Emissions was all about.

Any ideas? I want to find a garage that can reset the lights and do my emissions immediately.

I love my 850 and don't want to let it go!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't just clear the lights and pass! The computer has to complete all system tests before it can pass! The secondary air system has some to do with emissions! I worked as a tech in a state that had emissions testing, if you fix the hoses that may be good enough to pass! But you must clear the codes and drive for a couple of day for all the "rediness monitors" to run and pass. Autozone or
Pepboys can clear the codes for you if you can find someone to replace the parts for you.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SarahPour
I live in Virginia and am trying to get my 850 to pass Emissions. The first attempt failed and the garage I took it to told me I needed a new Engine in order to pass Emissions. Now, I know that I'm a woman but I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to spend 5 grand on a new engine in order to pass emissions. The guy said my car was blowing visible smoke, which I've never seen before...

Anyways, I took it to the Volvo dealership down the street and they laughed when I told them that the other place said I needed a new engine...

Volvo's Diagnosis:
There's nothing actually wrong with the car, but because the ABS and CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS are on, they can't pass my car for emissions. In order to get the ABS light off, they say I need a new ABS Console and likely a new speed sensor, which will cost around a grand for parts and labor. In order to get the check engine light off, Volvo says I need to get new "pigtails" that are around my air pump...that theres actually nothing wrong with the air pump, but because the pig tails are old, they're tripping the light.

So in order to pass my car for Virginia emissions I need to spend at least $1200 to get the lights in my car to go off. I can't believe it and think that its ridiculous especially since there is NOTHING wrong with my car and theres actually NOTHING polluting the air. I thought thats what Emissions was all about.

Any ideas? I want to find a garage that can reset the lights and do my emissions immediately.

I love my 850 and don't want to let it go!
Well you'd better get a third opinion; try a recommended indy volvo shop if you can find one in your area.

Not familiar with Emissions laws in your state but I'm sure they have a website with probably a phone number you can call and talk to someone.

First off, you should not have to get your ABS working to pass emissions testing; it has nothing to do with emissions, OBD2, or your CEL (ck engine lite) so that will save you about a grand right there. And on top of that, if you want to fix the ABS problem, it is likely broken solder joints in the ABS control module (which can be repaired by yourself for free or someone else for few hundred $) and doubt you have a bad speed sensor.

You will need to fix the SAS (air pump) to pass emissions but an indy should be to do that for a reasonable fee.

One more thing (and i don't know if this is true in your state..) but most state's emissions boards have a maximum $$ amount you have to pay to get your car fixed to the point of passing; if it requires more $$ than the max then you can get an exemption from the state. Again, find your state's website and research it.

Good luck and keep your 850 running!