Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Exhaust manifold leak after head replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"replaces his starter after not noticing a corroded positive cable"

Who is it that works on cars that can say the car hasn't at one time or another kicked their butt ?? You want to be careful about being in a glass house and throwing stones.

As far as Roberts expertise goes I think he does a great job here and maybe like the rest of us he misses a point here and there. What I've seen of his posts and the forums responses are that he's much appreciated and almost always thanked for the time and help he gives members.

If you have a problem with one of Roberts videos point it out. He doesn't take criticism any better than the rest of us but he'll correct anything you can show is inaccurate. Anyone on here should and better be willing to.

He didn't know it was called R134a, so? Was the video accurate and would it help the average guy who just went to Wal-mart and had a can in his hand and no idea where the hose went ??

If you never used Seafoam you might think it's the crud it loosens up that's burning and smoking. It isn't necessarily a lock that the product itself when entered into the system smokes as it burns.

When you're not helping the poster or adding to the thread, not making a joke or a little chat but just getting personal with someone it's time for a PM and do to each other whatever off the public board. Agree, disagree, agree to disagree, whatever but don't keep bringing it back out in public.

This thing about Robert saying he's a "PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC" and claiming I (ES6T) post "sideways information" has been posted and re-posted enough, let it go, move on or go toe to toe in PMs.

I had a different signature but changed it to the advice is free because it IS A WARNING. I'm not a certified Volvo trained technician and every now and then the advise I give proves I'm not. It's rather humbling considering how many years I've been working on cars but engineers change things that are working perfectly good just the way they were. Tell someone a Volvo PCV "system" costs a hundred bucks and that proves my point.

I don't know how many certifications Robert has or doesn't have so I'm willing to let him slide once in a while. I do have quite a few and I come up wrong once in a while and I always hope someone catches me in case I'm really off in 70's V8 land instead of Volvothink.

We're supposed to be here helping a guy with an exhaust noise problem.

So I'm asking.

Can't we all just get along

Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Can't we all just get along
Amen! Let's all try to post with a little less attitude (myself included); it's not helpful and drives newbies away. That's not why we're here, yes?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Amen...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
You want to be careful about being in a glass house and throwing stones.
I agree, which is why I have a problem with some guy like Robert sending me some ranting PM claiming he has expertise because he was this and that and accusing me of giving out bad info but not having the decency to provide some examples.

He has blocked me, so PMs do nothing and he can't learn from his mistakes if I correct them.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAAHLL Righty then........ Let us know what the straight edge shows. I'm curious.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xtwister
It is a good idea but my neighbors would flip out. I have a bottle of seafoam at home too.
Not only is the car loud, But to add smoke to it too.. even if the car is only on for a short time... lol

This is the exact same way I found out I HAD a leak......

turning the car on for a short period of time with a blue light would definitely show it

Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still in the process of finding a manifold.
Talked to a couple of sellers and have come up with these so far.

98 s70 glt (not sure if its same as t5?) $40
850 t5 (didn't state year) $45
t5 mani from 01 (he says higher flow) $55

Hard getting much info from these guys... lol

I am now leaning toward the 01 since my car has a chipped long ago.

Other info from googling which is vague and possibly incorrect.

1366689 turbo manifold glt/t5 94-2006
30637921 R manifold 2001-2006

well hopefully I can at least pull mine out maybe tonight and get something by tomorrow.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM

I took off the manifold yesterday and one of the gaskets was mangled.
I did take my time when I put it on and thought about why that happened.

I came to the realization that since some of the studs where out of the head with the nut on it that the thread was grabbing the gasket and twisted it during the final torque down.

I went to the parts place and got another set of gaskets and picked up the manifold also because the first time putting it on the gaskets were fine so I still suspect issues with it and didnt want to rip it apart anyways.

I opted for the s60 manifold, didnt realize the egr port delete. I was like omg... but still put it in anyways after thinking about it for awhile. I guess I'll deal with that later.

I hooked up enough to start the car and it appears no more loud exhaust!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Is this the one you went with

Name:  uitlaatspruitstukR.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  39.8 KB

Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM

No its the Japan model... 9207689

I put most of it back together.
It runs and then dies when it get warm. Maybe because of EGR not connected? The manifold was also smoking but hopefully just burning off oils. I don't see anything leaking. I did see a wet spot on the manifold. I cant see a possible source for it so I'm hoping the heat just pooled the oils.
The cam cover looks abit sweated arount the front but the car hasnt ran this long since the head gasket change. (Chem gasket reacting to heat?)

I gave up for tonight since I dont want to **** the neighbors off too much.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM

figured out why the engine was dying. I didnt tighten the pos terminal and the wire to the fuel pump wasnt getting a good contact.
So I started it up and it idled fine. I had alot of condensation in the exhaust.
I idled the car for 1/2 hr and the condensation was minimized. Still had smoke coming from the downpipe but was just a trickle. No leaks could be seen but the engine has no load on it. I guess I'm ready to take it off the jack stands and put the hood back on. Its been on jack stands for almost a year now (garaged)

Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Happy to hear after all the work you have it quiet finally !!

That positive battery terminal bit me in the butt. I figured the stud went all the way through and I tightened it down on the battery terminal and didn't notice the other side was still a little loose.

It started cutting out a little here and there and finally died on me half way up a freeway interchange on-ramp