Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Factory fog lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory fog lights don't work

Hey everyone,

our 1995 850 has factory installed fog lights that stopped working some time ago. Both lights were out which made me suspect something electrical was wrong so I checked the usual suspects:
1) fuse
2) bulbs

the fuse is fine, and i put new bulbs in for good measure. interestingly though I pulled out my volt meter and checked the site of the fuse, and it didnt read anything, which might be another problem entirely.

I read the "fog lights done work, but the fuse is good" thread ( https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...d-28031/page2/ ) which sounds pretty much exactly like my problem. except that in that persons case the green light on the switch didn't work, whereas the light on ours does turn on and off.

I'm hoping that its just the 'generic' fog light relay that volvo lists, so I'm going to order a new one to swap out and see. But i have 2 problems:
1) volvo says there are 2 possible parts and they need to know which one i have
2) i cant figure out how to get to the relay location that is underneath the fuse box.

Are there any recommendations/steps/photos on here that you guys could link me to that show how to get to those relays?

also, are there any other recommendations for possible fixes?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Well, I'm surprised at how many items I had to take off to get to the relay panel, but I finally got to it! The local parts company actually had the relay in stock, so I ran over and grabbed a new one and swapped it out. No love though. lights still don't work.

Any ideas on what else could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

PS: I'm going to post a diy thread on how to get to the panel w/pics shortly.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 AM

watching this thread. i have a foglight issue as well, but mine was self-created: i removed the guard to get to the radiator, never put it back on. fog light wires eventually caught on something and got yanked out. still have the wires, my fog light switch still lights up green, but i simply cannot locate the relay or whatever where these wires connect too.

one is a ground, not too concerned about that. the other is the hot wire, which i def. need connected to the relay :|

Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Well, here's the diagram I have of all the relays in the 850:
1995 Volvo 850 Relay Identification and Location | Motobild | Auto Repair (there is a download link to the pdf that has a larger image and a better key)

I've now swapped out the relay, bridge, the master headlight relay and both fog light switches, but still the lights don't turn on. I'm pretty sure I've got to assume that I have a bad ground somewhere - presumably before the fusebox and/or the relay.

I could use some input into how to track this issue down. The biggest clue I have to go off of is that when I check the voltage at the fuse, instead of getting 11.8V or 0V, I get a fluctuating reading of varying from about 0.02V to 0.008V to 0V.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM

what i would do is run a wire straight from the relay to both fogs. ground out both fogs somewhere near them (there are plenty of places under there).

flip the switch and see if they turn on.

im gonna pull out my relay when the wife gets home. any suggestions? i ask because i need to reconnect a wire that got ripped out and have been putting this off for quite some time.