Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

factory radio problem, tape making weird noise + wont play (using xm tape adapter)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory radio problem, tape making weird noise + wont play (using xm tape adapter)

I have been enjoying xm radio using the tape adapter so you can hear it through there. ive been lisning to it non stop since i bought my volvo, and now it just stopped last night, i tried reversing the tape and everything. It makes a weird fast clicking noise now when the tape is inserterd and will not play anything.

whats up with it?

Also do they make an xm adapter or any kind of adapter to make me get better quality from my xm? Ive seen some cars where you can buy an adapter for the cd changer input to make it an aux input or any type of connection.

DO any of you guys have xm or serious running through your factory unit?

Old 04-09-2007, 05:07 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: factory radio problem, tape making weird noise + wont play (using xm tape adapter)

Hi,

No one seems to have replied to this question so I'll volunteer.

No, I myself have never used XM radio, didn't even know anything about it. It is a satellite-based radio, correct?

The clicking noise from the factory audio is probably the tape player mechanism trying to play the adapter. Audio tape players are often noted for failure after several years of use. Try tapping the front panel to see if it loosens something. If not, it may be better finding another unit at a junkyard/on-line vendor. Or, try taking the unit out and blast it everywhere with a can of air duster (disconnect the battery first, and make sure to have the radio code before you disconnect the battery/radio, the engine also has to re-learn idle when you re-connect the battery). But I have a feeling that the problem is on the adapter side, can you find an alternative adapter to see if it works?

The tape adapters are notorious for messing up tape players. If there's an AUX input, that's what I would use.

Sorry I could not give you a definite answer.

JPN