Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front door rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front door rattle.

Ok, the front door is soon to be getting some tlc.

It needs a new check strap, and I suspect a new 'rear window channel'.
The door rattles when the window is wound down, hence why I suspect the window channel.

I have searched but cannot find any info/pics on the proceedure for it's replacement.

Anyone able to help with some info/links ??

Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front door rattle.

Here are directions on how to remove the door panel.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/doorpanel_remove.php

Once you get that off you should see what you need to do. I've done it and it's not that bad. My window channel on the back side of the door was all bent up. Had to buy a new one from the dealer.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks.
Pulling the door apart isn't an issue for me.
I just don't want to be doing it 5 times.

Any isssues with alignment for the channel ?
I'm assuming it's an actuall guide for the window.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM

I have seen a few postings on the regulator coming apart at the base of the window.I looked for a thread to direct you to and couldn't find it. I know it has been dealt with and, as I recall, it didn't take a lot to fix it. I think it will be one of those things that is obvious once you watch the window in action with the panel off.

...Lee

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes that's true. One thing I think I did wrong is now my lock will not work from that door with the key. I can lock with the key on the passenger side or use the remote, but I can not lock with the key on the drivers door. I'm figuring I knocked something lose or didn't hook something back up right. Not that big a deal to me so I haven't bothered to take it back apart. After replacing that guide though the window worked real smooth and the clunking when I shut the door with the window down went away.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I will bet the window guide broke.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:51 AM

You know what's reeeeally frustrating ?

You do up a list off bits to check the price on.
You then find out that NONE of the volvo dealers (parts counter) in your state are even open on a saturday morning.

That really stinks.
Must be another of fords marvellous f..... ideas.

I really wish ford would just go and die in a fire.

.................................................. .....

Now, other rattles to solve, Rear seat lock bushes (wagon), Guess I'll pull them apart and make my own replacements.

And this is an interesting one, rear door, shut the door or go over a bump, and I swear, it sounds like a clock spring is in there.
Anyone experienced this noise ?

Oh, and something in the headlining (roof cavity) is rattling as well.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Both the dealers here in the Columbus, OH are are open til noon on Saturday. I've actually called one around 11:40 and they stayed until I got there when I needed something. They just changed ownership though, so hard to tell if they will be the same. They also give me 15% off because I'm a member of VCOA. Sure hope that does not change.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting the driver's side door to lock

Originally Posted by JimKW
Yes that's true. One thing I think I did wrong is now my lock will not work from that door with the key. I can lock with the key on the passenger side or use the remote, but I can not lock with the key on the drivers door. I'm figuring I knocked something lose or didn't hook something back up right. Not that big a deal to me so I haven't bothered to take it back apart. After replacing that guide though the window worked real smooth and the clunking when I shut the door with the window down went away.
i had to replace the door lock actuator and when i put everything back together i had the same problem. it turned out to be that there's a piece on the outside door handle mechanism that functions as a "key" (to visualize--it's like your real door key causes this internal "key" to twist). This "key" fits into a plastic "keyhole" on the door lock actuator. I found that in order to put it back properly you have to take the two screws out that hold the door lock actuator AND the two screws that hold the outside door handle and then wedge the two together at an angle. before you replace the four screws, test the key function to make sure it works.