Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

fuel rail removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation fuel rail removal

I have the vac elbow leak over by the power steering pump that is real common with these cars. I am trying to figure out the best way to replace. Should I remove steering pump? Maybe I should go for the intake and do the PCV too. Well, I found this on IPD's site and it looks like I can access by removing fuel rail.

My question is this, is there anything I need to watch for when doing that job. It seems pretty easy. I read in the Haynes I should change out the O ring that sits in the manifold. Anything else to think about or prone to breaking? Do I need to relieve the fuel pressure?

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/sku_files/9424_INST.PDF

Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be fairly straightforward & easy.

Replace the O-rings - you'll need 10.

Relieve the fuel pressure. Pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine until it stops. Or hold a rag around the shraeder valve on the rail as you press to relieve the pressure.

PCV inspection and replacement is a very good idea while you're at it, but you'll need to remove the intake manifold for that.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTBricked
It should be fairly straightforward & easy.

Replace the O-rings - you'll need 10.

Relieve the fuel pressure. Pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine until it stops. Or hold a rag around the shraeder valve on the rail as you press to relieve the pressure.

PCV inspection and replacement is a very good idea while you're at it, but you'll need to remove the intake manifold for that.

+1 good advice

Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cap off the end of the intake manifold, trace where the line goes and run another vaccuum line from the Vacuum tree to that spot. This bybpasses the need to take off the fuel rail and possibly the intake maninfold. I have done this in the past based on Tech telling me it's an easy fix doing it this way.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM

VT -- When you say replace the 10 o rings can you tell me the location of those rings having never removed fuel injection components before. Are you talking about 5 -- 1 that fits on the bottom of each injectors. And then 5 -- 1 that fits just inside the manifold where you plug the injector into the manifold. I don't have any diagrams on this so I am not sure the configuration. Or is the lower ring on the injector the same that plugs into the manifold and in that case you are talking about upper and lower on the injector itself?

This would help me to explain when I go buy the parts. Thanks for the advise on the fuel pressure.

I found this link to a fuel injector seal kit. Are these the two seals you are talking about to make a total of 10?

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/156

Jim -- I sent you a pm. The way you describe sounds like it might be easier. I just need a little clarification.

Sorry for all the questions guys -- NOOB here!

Last edited by 96850urbo; 03-25-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

You litterally buy a cap for the end under the power steering and cap it off so you don't have a vacuum leak. Then you trace where that line from the nipple you just capped off goes. Then you take a line from the vacuum tree, which is under the throttle cable cover, take one off the caps off an empty space on the tree and run a line from that space on the tree to wherever the line the ran under the intake manifold goes. I did this on a car I had years ago and that's all I remember.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 AM

I did the job today and reset the cel and so far it has not come back on. The elbow was not that difficult to get off the manifold nipple. Once it was off I fished it up between intake runner 1 and 2 and that gave me a lot more room to put the new elbow on. If anyone is curious it is the elbow with a small opening one end and large opening opposite end.

I basically followed the IPD instructions. When I removed the fuel rail I cut the rubber fuel line and put on a new one. 5/16" Also, I drained the coolant and removed the upper radiator hose. I think that helped a lot. I used a razor blade to cut a line in the protective foam thus exposing the vac elbow and cut it off being careful not to damage line.

The only seals I replaced are the fuel injection seals that fit between the injector and manifold. I put a little silicone grease on them.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Good job. Now I remember what happend when I was doing mine. I broke the inner platic on the line up under the manifold. I was thinking it was a flexible hose and was not very careful removing the elbow.